Solved: software which allows you to talk to others called ventrillo.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shauntilbs

I use a program called Ventrillo which allows you to talk to other people, i use this program while i play World Of Warcraft. I have a very annyoing issue which annoys me and most certainly annoys other people talking with me. I can talk fine and hear everyone else fine but then randomly my mic( or whatever the problem is) makes a very large and loud static noise. i cannot hear this noise but the other people can. so to solve the problem i just disconnect from the server and reconnect, but it will happen again sooner or later. It is completly random and there is no warning of when it will happen(n). i have tried many things to try and avoid this, i have bought a new mic, re downloaded the program, swap the port which my mic is plugged into. My computer uses microsoft xp and i would realy like some help to get rid of this probloem so i can feel confident to talk to others without deafining them. thankyou for your time.:)

You didn't mention whether you use Push to talk (PTT) or not.
Well, to test it out try using the push to talk option. I know it is a tad annoying, but may stop the issue. As Vent will only send when you push your PTT button.
You can set whatever Key works for you.
With WoW using so many keys, I have my PTT set to the Decimal key on the number pad.

Shauntilbs

i do use the push to talk (PTT) my button is the control button. i think that this is the problem and maybe having this disabled will solve the problem, but i have tried to set this before but i never could get it to work without pushing a button

I think WoW uses the ctrl button in some of it's short cuts.
Have a look in the WoW key configuration, and set your PTT to a key that isn't used by WoW.

Does this sound come in if you haven't used PTT? For example, could you join your friends, not say anything in Vent and still get the static?
I'm wondering if it may be a voice codec conflict.
You have WoW's in game voice chat disabled right?

Shauntilbs

I changed the PTT button to many differant keys, i disabled the WoW ingame voice chat, and still the static occurs.

Hmm, well maybe audio drivers. Or.. as Blood said, maybe the sound card.

If it's onboard, (built in to the motherboard) audio. there is a chance it can't handle something like voice over the internet like Ventrilo.
This is all trouble shooting so can't say for sure its your audio, but things may point that way.

You say you aren't good with computers so I can't really ask you to borrow a sound card to test this idea out. If you have a techy friend that feels confident in trying.
Hate to have you buy a card to find out thats not it. :(
Maybe a local PC shop can loan you one to try before you buy.

That's just the ideas I've come to. There's still a chance someone else may come along and know exactly how to fix this problem. :D

Well...you have to ask yourself:

- Does this same static noise occur if I record directly into Windows Movie Maker, or even Windows live messanger (or any others that you may use).
- Does this also occur on a program like Teamspeak? You could download this for free, and ask a friend to test it out with you.

I also have a theory that you may have an automatic compression on your microphone settings.
Have a look on both Windows Sound devices, and your audio manufacturer's configuration tools (both found in Control Panel).
You might have to play about with ticking, dragging, and testing. But HEY, you have nothing to lose right? :p

Otherwise...yeah, I'm afraid you might need to get a new sound card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online