1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Software won't update

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by maineac60, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maineac60

maineac60 Thread Starter

Several programs that I have installed on my Windows 8.1 desktop will not connect and update. Some say unable to connect to proxy server, others just sit there and do nothing. Can someone please help me correct this problem.

2. kames

kames

I think this is caused by the proxy setting of your computer.
    a) Under "Tools" in the browser tool bar select "Internet Options".
    b) In the "Internet Options" Window that pops up, click the "Connections" tab at the top.
    c) Click "LAN Settings" near the bottom of the "Connections" section.
    d) If the "Proxy server" checkbox is marked with a check, click it to deselect/uncheck it.
    e) Click "Ok" to close the "Local Area Network (LAN) Settings" window.
    f) Click "Ok" to close the "Internet Options" Window.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

This is almost exclusively caused by malware. But, I've seen legitimate programs do this as well...

Download the free CurrPorts. No installation required. Simply run the executable file.

Make sure Internet Explorer is running before starting CurrPorts.

Look inside your LAN settings for the proxy server address and port. Note that port.

Run CurrPorts and search the list for that specific port. Please copy the whole line(s) and paste it into your next reply. To copy, right-click and select "Copy Selected Items".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice