1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Solution for Loss of MS Office Assistant in Windows 7 (MS Office 97-2003)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Jack1000, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

For those still using Legacy Office (97-2003) on Windows 7, any time you try to activate the animated Office Assistant, you receive a message that "The Office Assistant Requires Microsoft Agent 2.0 or better. The product is available in the Office System Pack." Read the following before installing:

1.) MS removed the MS Agent, which controls the Office Assistant on Windows 7 and above. The Hot Fix below, is contained in a zip file which restores the Office Assistant functionality to legacy Office users on Windows 7. The following link below will show you how to download the instructions to get the Hot Fix back. Note, if you are running Windows XP or below, you already have this installed and need not run it. See the separate Help documentation in MS Office, if your Office Assistant fails to appear in Windows XP or below.

2.) Furthermore, this fix is for Windows 7 only! Not Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or the Windows 10 Preview. You also will need to make sure you know the correct version of Windows 7 on your computer For example 32 or 64 bit. MS should sense the version of Windows 7 you are running, when they email you the instructions for downloading the Hotfix.

3.) The instructions say that this Fix only restores Merlin the Wizard, but it gave me "Clippy" which is the default Office 97-2003 animation.

4.) I was not able to get the Zip file to extract in the C directory or able to find the default file location the first time. But by clicking "Browse" and saving the download link to my Downloads folder, I was able to find and run the zip file extractor and the main Hotfix itself.

Link to further MS Hotfix instructions to Restore Legacy Animated MS Office Assistant to Windows 7 users:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/969168

Jack

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Nice, but why burden the system with an extra process?

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It can be useful when teaching young children!! ;)

4. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    True, but they'll have to be quick before windows 7 is obsolete too :)

5. DaveBurnett

I've reached my limit as far as Windows is concerned and 7 is as high as I go.
    I was using computers way back in 1966 when the only machines were Mainframes and all access was via punched card or tape.
    I remember the first time that direct access via a Teletype terminal was available.

I've just realised how little has really changed in all that time. Faster online access just allows us to make mistakes quicker....
    In the old days programmers checked their programs BEFORE they tried them, nowadays it seems to be a case of letting the consumer do your testing for you.

6. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Good old punchcards, Holorit, that's where the term 'bug' comes from :)
    Yes, I always wondered why they all want I7 proecssors and so. you don't type any faster, my old XT computer ('87) was fast enough for me.

7. DaveBurnett

Bug cam from an actual insect.
    In the days of early computers and before digital processing, computers were programmed by actually physically rewiring them. The wiring was mounted on a removable board and people used jumper wires to connect various points.
    On one occasion an insect got onto the board and caused a short, which changed to outcome of the "program".

The "bug" died.

8. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    I understood that the bug came from the paper eating bug in the punch cards, one more hole made quiet a difference, 'there's a bug in my program' :)

9. DaveBurnett

That wasn't what I had heard (that doesn't mean it is not true though since it does seem to be anecdotal).

Punch cards are/were made from very high quality paper.

10. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I needed the Office Assistant to do something, and don't like the idea of full installs with parts of the software missing. Normally, I don't use the Office Assistant, but I like the Help system in legacy office over modern versions (2007+.) I have Office 2010 Pro on my Windows 8.1 laptop. Not horrible, but a little too cluttered with features that are hard to find. Thank you Dave for your help in showing me that legacy Office, and I would guess Libre Office, which is now the big free replacement have a more familiar layout for a home user like myself

Oh, full install of legacy Office on Windows 7 takes up so much less RAM than the modern versions. I am a writer, and MS Word 2010 opens with a Title Screen on Windows 8.1 that takes about 3-4 seconds to get to a blank document. On Word 2003, the new Document screen opens so fast that most of the time you don't see the Title Screen, and if you do, it is at most half a second on Windows 7.

Jack

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice