1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: [Solved] Acer Aspire 5517 Repair Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jok3r5458, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jok3r5458

Jok3r5458 Thread Starter

Hello, my laptop is not coming on, well the screen.

I tried taking out the battery, unplugging the charger etc. and holding the power button for 30 seconds and plugging in the charger only. That didn't work.

I tried plugging in a external monitor into it (one I know works as it's the one I am using currently) and the screen still didn't come on.

Before it died, I ran MemTest on each single RAM and both came back with no problems (ran each for an hour).

Hard drive was bad but replaced it and still nothing.

I am stumped on what it could be. I mean, I have a few ideas but would rather have someone else shed some light on my ideas.

1. Motherboard went bad.
    2. onboard graphics died.

Could it be the CPU as well?

I have the whole thing disassembled right now.

2. Lucky09

Lucky09

Hi,
    Most likely it's just either of your 2 ideas. When you turn it on, is the power light still showing up? If it does, is it really nothing on the screen, not even the Acer Logo?

3. Jok3r5458

Jok3r5458 Thread Starter

Yeah, when I push the power button the light comes on showing it turned on but nothing on the screen at all. Even tried using a flashlight to shine on the screen to see if it was the backlight but nope.

Edit: When I click the power button, the fan comes on for about 2 seconds then shuts off. Something is getting warm/hot inside, i'm assuming it is the CPU.

4. Lucky09

Lucky09

CPU, Most likely.. you can also try booting without the HDD and see if the tempeture is the same. We'll HDD has nothing to do with the "No Video" but can be reason as well of high temp.

5. Jok3r5458

Jok3r5458 Thread Starter

Well, I went out and bought some thermal paste and did all the dirty work..

End result: I first turned it on but no luck still a black screen. I let it sit and run for about 15 minutes while on and it got warm, so I knew something was working (CPU). I unplugged it and put in the hard drive and tried turning on again and wah-lah booted up!

Guess it just needed some new grease. The old stuff was caked and cracking.

6. Lucky09

Lucky09

Good to know. You can worked again with your stuffs then.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice