1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Solved: can anyone tell what generates this temp file?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jamie1949, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamie1949

jamie1949 Thread Starter

I have a temp file ( ~DF2784.tmp 48KB) which appears in local settings. If I try to delete it I get the message: Cannot delete ~DF2784.tmp: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again. I cannot find any program that is running it. It seems to refresh itself on boot up.

Can anyone tell me if this is generated by Windows XP? It seems to have appeared after upgrading to SP2 and loading IE7. The only other change on my system is installing Carbonite backup.

System: Windows XP SP2
    F-Secure Anti Virus 2006

The only other utilities on my compter are:
    UniBlue Speed up My PC
    Registry Mechanic.

My systems seems to be working fine except IE7 bombs out quite a lot - "IE has to close down..." but runs perfectly on IE6.

I am not paranoid about temporary files but feel more secure if I know what is creating them and why they appear.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Yes, I get a Temp file about the same size, the exact number/name will vary depending on many different factors.

Assuming its in Temp Files under local settings, its expected and normal (that is what the location is for)

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

4. jamie1949

jamie1949 Thread Starter

Many thanks,

The culprit was from a trial of ebook generator - gotten rid of it now. Obliged for your help,

James

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice