1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Solved: Can't Update: Error Code: 80072F78

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by referee07, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Two days ago I checked for updates to Windows (Vista) and saw that one was available. When I tried to download and install it I got an error message with the error code 80072F78. I checked on the Web and saw that this has something to do with the time, date and maybe the Internet Zone. I checked and all of these look good. Can anyone shed some light on this problem? Thanks in advance.

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Elvandil, I tried downloading and installing the certificate but it didn't work. I still can't download and install the Windows Update. There was a note on the top of the certificate that said that the signatures weren't valid or something like that. Also, after the certificate is unzipped, do I just click "OK" to install them? Thanks again.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, just click on it.

Try opening Internet Options, Advanced tab, and clicking the "Reset" button. It will remove all customizations from IE, reset security levels, and disable all add-ons (which can be re-enabled under "Manage Add-ons"). It may get you connected.

Have you done anything unusual with your update settings, like trying any of those reg hacks that let you download SP1?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

7. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try some of the fixes in the other links. It looks like there are many possible reasons for this error, including errors made by anti-virus and anti-malware apps and firewalls. You might try turning each of those off, too, to see what happens.

9. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    This is what technet have to say:
    1. Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    3. Click the Security tab, and then click Trusted Sites.
    4. Click Sites, and then click to clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.
    5. In the Add this Web site to the zone box, type the following addresses, clicking Add after you type each address: • http://update.microsoft.com
    • http://download.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

6. Click OK two times.
    The site also reccomends turning off any firewalls temporarily.

10. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Elvandil and davehc, I tried the suggestions but still no luck. I still get the same error code, 80077F78. I Googled this code and it appears the problem lies with the time and date on my computer. I have checked and the time zone is accurate. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

11. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I should have also mentioned that periodically the Update runs by itself but does not appear to be working. It will get to 1% downloaded or maybe 7% downloaded and then stop.

12. outlander

outlander

I'm having the same issue downloading sp1. Any luck resolving the problem??

13. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

outlander, yes, I got it resolved. See below:

From the case log, I understand that we have tried installing SP1 for Windows Vista several times but all failed.

If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know. I fully understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

At this time, let us perform the following steps.

Step 1: Download Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer
    ===================================================
    1. Download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below according to your System Type:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 434.5MB)
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...4c056d4c34d/Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 64-bit (Size: 726.5MB)
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...c1f58727b8b/Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.exe

2. Please save it on the Desktop.

Step 2: Install Windows Vista SP1 in Clean Boot mode
    ========================================
    Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Vista SP1:

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please double click the downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP1.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

If this doesn't work, you might want to e-mail Microsoft Tech Support. They were very helpful with this issue.

Referee07

14. outlander

outlander

Thanks for the info. I actually had success a couple days after my post. I synched up my computer time with internet time and that did the trick.

15. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

outlander, thanks for the reply. Question: how did you synch your computer with Internet time? I have been trying to do that for quite sometime.

16. outlander

outlander

-Right click your time
    -Select Adjust Date/Time
    -Select Internet Time Tab
    -Select change settings
    -Check box, select server, hit update.
    That should be it. Good Luck!!

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/688962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice