1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Solved: OC 8800GTX or GTS G92 WC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saac_dogg, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saac_dogg

saac_dogg Thread Starter

hi there,
    I have a xfx 512 8800gts g92. I very happy with it.

I recently bought a GTX, brand new evga very cheap, just to re-sell.

I have a watercooling system in my PC and was thinking maybe i should install the GTX, pick a full waterblock (danger den or something similar) and overclock as high or higher than an ultra.

or should i buy a GTS waterblock (more expensive) and overclock my current card???

any opinions are appreciated.

2. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

I didn't think GTS's overclocked very well, but I might be wrong. Seen as you seem to be wanting to overclock either card I would go with the GTX simply for its overclocking headroom and seen as the water block is cheaper I would go for that one. Hope that helps :)

3. cornman

cornman

GTS (g92) overclock way better than a gtx. Goldfish it is not the old g80 gts is is the newer g92. You will be able to overclock much better with the gts, I have the same card but it is evga version and I can overclock from 670mhz up to 750 no problems and I could go much higher I just don't need to. I've heard of getting up to 850 with that card.

4. saac_dogg

saac_dogg Thread Starter

yeah overclocked mine to 700 with no aftermarket cooler but i havernt really seen anything on watercooled card being overclocked very high....

The new BFG WC G92 GTS is only clcoked at 700! and the memory didn't even change at 1940MHz
    so whats the point. i get that without wc and idle at 49C

a GTX can be overclocked to ultra specs with WC, and a ultra smokes a gtsG92.

unless someone can show me otherwise....please show me otherwise. I like not burning extra power for no reason.

thx for replies people. :)

5. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

I always thought of the GTS G92 like this (sorry if i'm hijacking the thread :p) it was the GT but clocked higher, hence the larger cooler. Thats why you don't see many higher clocked reference boards of the GTS because its already pretty high on the core clocks. Then they released the 9800GTX, like the GTS G92 but can be clocked higher, but even that still doesn't take the crown over a reference 8800GTX, so I would still stick with the 8800GTX and overclock it :)

I could be completly wrong, but that is the way I see it and hte way prices are at the moment you can pick a 8800GTX up for around the same as a 8800GTS G92.

6. into9rod

into9rod

I would prefer the g92 because is more efficient and is gonna do almost as the 8800 gtx
    and if you oc the 8800gtx u gonna need more power cuz its an older chip , i can tell you that i got a friend with 2 gtx in SLI and hes having some problems with the mobo and with the power supply (n)

Goodluck

7. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

If you are watercooling a PC then power isn't really guna be a problem i wouldn;t have thought :p But I know what ya mean, It wil take quite a bit of power to run but the increase in FPS should be worth it.

8. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

The 8800 GTS G92 is way better than the 8800GTX because it has the core of a 9800GTX. I would suggest that you keep the 8800GTS G92 and overclock it as high as possible. People will say that the 8800 GTS G92 overclocked is a 9800GTX.

Good Luck :)

9. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Thats because it basically is :p... well after doing some research (i have too much time on my hands) I agree you would probably be best sticking with the GTS due to the newer core and thermal and power usage. Although the GTX overclocks more it does not show the best bang for buck anymore so, GTS it is :)

10. saac_dogg

saac_dogg Thread Starter

mmm well i dont think power is an issue, Have a good psu.

so you guys suggest the G92.....
    because its a newer technology, makes sense.

does it matter that the GTX has a much higher memory bit depth therefore memory tranfer rate will be higher? i think the gtx stock is 84 gb/s vs G92 62gb/s (off the top of my head)??

so even though power and heat won't be an issue, G92 still better choice.....

im surprised, but i did want to keep the GTS

thx people. I'll look into finding a good GTS waterblock, any suggestions?

specs in case anyone is interested:

q6600 GO @ 3.4Gh (temps idle 29C load 45C)
    XFX 8800GTS 512mb XXX edition (700/986)
    TT 750W Toughpower
    MSI P35D3 PLatinum
    2x 1gb Corsair DDR3 1333mhz
    24" Samsung Synchmaster
    TT Bigwater 735 3/8"

11. Compiler

Compiler

Sell that GTX asap.... Thats the thing about TOP end video cards - they tend to lose value very quickly - because a newer gen is always around the corner. The $250 8800GT quickly stole sales from the 8800gts / GTX because it was almost as fast for $200~400 less.

The ATI 3870 was looking to be MY next card because it was $190 or so, maybe the 8800GT. But the 9600GT without a fan for $125 will most likely be my choice, which is almost as fast as the 8800GT, cheaper no fan no noise... and already within 2-3 months, the replacement for the 9800GTX and 9800GX2 is coming out BECAUSE ATI's new card is coming out and Nvidia wants to keep its lead.

I'll take a slight slower silent card with lower power wattage for a loss of a few more FPS... $125 vs $175 for about a 10% hit is not bad. And its still 3-4x more powerful than my 7600GT which I paid $190 2 years ago... its faster than the $190 3870 my friend bought 4 weeks ago ;(

12. saac_dogg

saac_dogg Thread Starter

yeah its annoying and sweet at the same time......

spend too much money constantly upgrading but then again you constantly getting better graphics....

still no single card that can play crysis on very high w/ aa16x, even the dual gpu ones.

i nearly bought a 3870 x2 but it seemed like there were so many driver issues, even more that usual from ati!

13. Compiler

Compiler

Well - that is why I don't try to stay on the "cutting edge" - its too costly and a never ending battle. By staying 1-2 gens down, I save money and still get what I need. When I bought the 7600GT, it was a good value back then when the 7900 was a $500 card, my 76000 won't play Crysis AT ALL. But I copied the demo to my friend with the new 3870 and our jaws were dropping on his 24" LCD.

So now that I am just NEEDING more horse power, the price has come to me at about 1/4 the cost compared to 6 months ago... that's not bad.

14. saac_dogg

saac_dogg Thread Starter

15. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

You say your GTS is already the XXX edition... you sure you will be able to squeeze many more MHz outa it, i can only see it gettin an extra 50-70 if that... That might mean that there is no need to watercool the card tbh, but its up to you and thats just my opinion. :) I think the shader clock might be your best bet for overclocking on that card, let us know how it goes when you finally decide.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!