1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Solved: Slave HDD not showing in Disk management

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Novaris, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Novaris

Novaris Thread Starter

Hi all.

I just installed a new harddrive into my comp (seagate 7200.7 40gb, IDE), to add more space. i set it as slave and the original as master. After booting, it shows up in BIOS but not in Windows.

Ive checked disk management and it doesn't appear even when i rescan disks. Ive also tried partition magic, and it doesn't show there either.

My comp is : winXP home SP2. Thanx in advance.
    Nova

2. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

Hello Novaris, and welcome :)

Seagate typically comes with a bootable utilities disk that you can use to partition and format the drive.

Is this an IDE or EIDE connected drive? If so, the system may have a CS (cable select) setup -- you could try leaving the master and connecting the slave drive to the second connector for your CD/DVD drive.

Click Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc and in the lower section, if you scroll down towards the bottom -- do you get an unrecognized volume? If so, that's your new HD...and you can right-click to format it from there.

3. playme123

playme123

cheers was just going to start a new thread bout this and then seen it, my pc is recognising the drive now
    your a star

4. Ciberblade

Good to hear (y)
    :)

5. playme123

playme123

right totally off topic, when ive finsished fromatting the slave drive I want to use acronis to copy the os and put it on the slave drive as a backup in case the main drive crashes how do I go about that

6. Ciberblade

I'll have to ask you to start a thread about that in Software -- so this thread will remain focused on solving Novaris' issue.

I'll be in to take a look...thanks :)

7. playme123

playme123

okey dokey:)

8. Novaris

Novaris Thread Starter

Hi Ciberblade, thanks for your help

I managed to find the utility and burnt a boot disk.

By booting off the disk, i can add the disk, the bootdisk also allows me to format and partition the disk. However, as soon as i get into windows, i cant find it. What am i doing wrong? (BTW: should i be formatting as FAT32? at the moment im formating as NTFS)

As for the IDE or EIDE, i dont have a clue.

Thanks again for the help
    Nova

9. Ciberblade

With WinXP, NTFS should be fine -- although, you could always format FAT32 to troubleshoot.

Do you get any unrecognizable or raw volumes in diskmgmt.msc? Those are usually indicated by having a black border around the area. Also, check the existing drive letterings -- I've had a couple drives try and use D: even though it was already in use -- both volumes showed up side by side (of course, the existing took the letter) In that case, I simply needed to assign it to an unused letter by right-clicking it and selecting 'change drive letters and paths'

10. Novaris

Novaris Thread Starter

no, afraid not. Ive checked and rescanned but the only ones that turn up are my existing drives and CD and DVD drives.. etc. none that are new, unallocated, uninitialized or anything.

Although, the Seagate software is trying to assign it to E: in the boot utility and I already have an E:
    Thank you.

11. Novaris

Novaris Thread Starter

Uh... i just ran BIOS again and it seems that the HD is now missing. Its connected but isnt detected. Have i just worsened the issue?

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Try switching the way the drives are plugged in the cable then try a different cable and if none of that works, you have a bad hard drive.

13. Novaris

Novaris Thread Starter

lol. another edit.

// right . thank you all for your wonderful help. the problem has now been fixed. YAY.

it turns out that the drive was there the whole time. I had to boot to SafeMode and edit permissions for the HD under admin. It seems that the windows "account" i was using had no access to the HD. :eek:

Thanks again.
    Nova

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!