1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Solved: Ugh!Problems with serial port for printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by It never ends, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. It never ends

It never ends Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario 5000 Series PC and am having problems with the serial port for the printer. The owners manual has a diagram for where plugs should go for the printer, but the plug doesn't match the size of the port. The printer has been plugged into another serial port for connecting serial peripheral devices, but the plug doesn't really fit in there either. I've had to unplug it a few times lately to downloan and update printer drivers, but it never really fit right. Maybe that's why I haven't been able to print off the internet, but still can print off notepad. I don't know. Is it possible that some of the pins in the serial port are bent from plugging and unplugging? Or maybe we have the wrong cord for connecting the printer to the PC? I have an HPdeskjet 940c series printer. Any recommendations?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sorry but I am rather confused here.

That model of printer does not have a serial connection (I downloaded a manual off the web to double check)
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd08798.pdf

It has USB and parallel port connections only, no serial (as in RS232 serial).

Can you be more specific?

3. It never ends

What exactly do you need specifics on? I'm quite illiterate about USBs? Is it the cord that plugs in from the back left side of the printer directly into the back of my PC?That is the cord (maybe plug n play?) that doesn't fit correctly into the port in the back of the PC. Am I still confusing you more? If so, sorry~don't really have a clue here!

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

USB is a small rectangular flat plug, about 1/2 inch wide and 2/10ths of an inch high.

A Parallel port plug is about 2 inches wide and 3/8 inch high with tapered sides, with 25 pin holes.

A serial plug is like a parallel one but only about 1" wide and has 9 pins.

Please describe what you have, and why you think it "does not fit"?

However that it works in Notepad suggests its not that which is the problem.

Remember though, Notepad probably only uses the black ink, printing "off the internet" probably uses only color ink, even when printing black. So if nothing is on the paper, but it goes through the motions, try a new color ink tank.

When you say it does not print, can you be specific as to what happens?
    In other words does blank paper come out, do you get an error, flashing lights, or just "nothing happens"?

Please remember only you can see and touch the things there, we can only help if you describe fully.

5. It never ends

It's definitely a USB, and when plugged into the right place, fits fine. The printer worked fine for the last 4 1/2 years off the internet and notepad, and then suddenly, I could only get it to print off of notepad. Then nothing at all. After updating the printer driver, I got the printer to work again, but only off notepad and not the internet. Just installed a brand new color ink cartridge about two weeks ago. When I say it doesn't print, it just "does nothing"....no error message, no motions...nothing. Could the problem be more internal than having to do with the plug? Or could it be a damaged plug? Let me know what other information you need. I'm doing the best I can. This "no print" problem has been going on for a few months now, and I don't know how to fix it. Nothing has changed in the past 5 years with my set up except some installing and uninstalling of antivirus protection programs and updating the printer driver.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I had a problem where I could not print from Internet Explorer. Under File > Page Setup, my left and right page margins were set so the two numbers added together were 8.5. Setting them back to 0.75 and 0.75 fixed the problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!