1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Solving shutdown problems (Userenv error 1517)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jim Danner, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim Danner

Jim Danner Thread Starter

At every shutdown, two error warnings were logged in the Application event log by Userenv:
    • error 1524 ("Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services.")
    • error 1517 ("Windows saved user <user name> registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.")

I installed Microsoft's UPHClean to aid the unloading of the registry. This works, and it also reports the source of the problem: cpf.exe, a process of Comodo Firewall.

I now wonder: should I leave it at this, or should I go on to try and solve the actual problem (for example by doing what the 1517 warning said: "try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account")? The current setup seems a bit unnatural to me: a service is basically malfunctioning, and I employ another service full-time to keep it in check. What do the experts advise?

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

This might help:

locate the service in the service control panel right click on it and choose properties, then select the LogOn tab and make sure Local System account is checked then reboot

3. Jim Danner

Actually, cpf.exe is not a service but a startup process. It's listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Can I do something to have this run differently? It actually doesn't seem to be run from my user account, given its place in the registry...

In case you're interested in the events logged by UPHClean, here they are:

The following handles in user profile hive <...> have been remapped because they were preventing the profile from unloading successfully:

cpf.exe (124)
    HKCU\Software\Classes (0x80)
    empty call stack
    HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID (0x84)
    empty call stack
    HKCU (0xc4)
    0x77fab4b7 ADVAPI32!<no symbol>
    0x77f772b1 ADVAPI32!IsTextUnicode+0x9cb4
    0x77f46b20 ADVAPI32!RegOpenKeyExW+0xa8
    CPF.exe symbols timestamp mismatch (file 0x426fe10b, symbols 0x45c80f52)
    0x0049b1ac CPF!<no symbol>
    0x0049b268 CPF!<no symbol>
    0x7c816fd7 kernel32!RegisterWaitForInputIdle+0x49
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows (0x11c)
    no call stack data found for handle

4. cgesicki

cgesicki

I would ignore that 1517 error then if its not causing any damage to your pc, that entry for Comodo is in the right place.

5. Jim Danner

OK, thanks, I will leave it like it is. Apparently, this problem has been reported at the Comodo user forum so maybe they will do something about it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/630896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice