Solved: Some Files Could Not Be Scanned

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

White Wolf 00

Banned
I'm not exactly sure where this question should be posted. If I've placed it in the wrong place, please let me know so I can move it.

A couple of days ago, I brought my parents computer home because it was slowing right down and they couldn't access their e-mail. I solved the e-mail problem as well as most of the slow down problem. However, when I ran Avast on it, it came up with 6 files it couldn't scan.

C:\WINDOWS\...\ciodm.dll................Error: Data error(cyclic redundancy check) (23)
C:\...\winmine.exe.............................Error: Data error(cyclic redundancy check) (23)
C:\WINDOWS\...\amdk7.sys.............Error: Data error(cyclic redundancy check) (23)
C:\...\NPSWF32.dll...........................Error: Data error(cyclic redundancy check) (23)
C:\...\progman.exe............................Error: Data error(cyclic redundancy check) (23)
C:\...\WinFXDocObj.exe....................Error: Data error(cyclic redundancy check) (23)

I've ran Avast, Defender, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntispyware and Iobit Malware Fighter. The only one that comes up with anything is AVAST.

Am I missing something here??

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.70GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1022 Mb
Graphics Card: RAGE 128 PRO AGP 4X TMDS (Microsoft Corporation), 32 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 290845 MB;
Motherboard: Intel Corporation, D865PERL
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

It's possibly a sign of hard drive failure, especially if there are more files in later scans. Make sure you have a full system backup and go to the drive manufacturer's site for testing software. Keep in mind tha testing itself is intensive and can ruin a drive that is failing, so be sure that you have Windows and everything else backed up in case you need to put it on a new drive.

If the drive fails tests, then replace it. If not, come back and we'll look further into it.

Other tools--->

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
Ariolic Disk Scanner (Checks disk for read errors)
Manufacturer's Tests
Victoria for DOS
Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
HD Tune
CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
TachTech
BleepingComputer

White Wolf 00

Banned
Elvandil,

You hit the nail right on the head. I ran the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics program and the drive failed both the short and long tests. 3 year warranty on a 1 year old drive but drives are getting very hard to get right now. Hope I can resolve this with WD right away.

Again, I thank you for your help.

Rob

Sorry to here that, but it happens. WD are good about replacements, though slow. They have always sent me a drive with larger capacity than the original. :D

It's likely that Avast was the only program you ran that was set to check CRC values. Good, old Avast gave you the news, even if it was somewhat indirectly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online