1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: some forlders cannot be removed, what to tdo?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by momtaz, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Hello guys

2 days ago I noticed all word files became with name.doc and PDF files name.pdf,
    if I delete the .doc or .pdf the file changes its form and cannot be opened,
    also I noticed some new folders in my drive D createsd and cannot be deleted, even empty! and the color of the folder is a little looks like has shadow or not clear as the usual folder yellowish color,

I suspected it's a virus or trojan or not sure about, even I am using norton version (full options) and scanned them many times but nothing happen..!

any help will be really highly appreciate, with lot of thanks in advance,
    regards

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Open My Computer.

Select Tools > Folder Options > View.

Put a check mark on Hide extensions for known file types.

[​IMG]

3. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Hi phantom010, was done to hide the file extensions, I do appreciate it for u with lot of thanks..

still some folders in my drive D cannot be deleted, even they are emply .. always deny to delete, their color is faded not as the other folders, I did not creat them.. what can do to delete them?
    I will really appreciate if any possible solution,
    Regards

4. Phantom010

What are the folders? Are you sure they aren't needed anymore?

5. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Thanks again phantom010, your efforts highly appreciated,

the folders named as follow:

1. RECYCLER
    (inside this foloder there is a recycle bin named "5-1-5-21-776561741-2000478...") and when I click on it aoorear this message:"contains the files and folders that you have deleted."

2. System Volume Information

the above 2 folders have been created just 2 or 3 days ago when file entension started to appear, I borrow one of my friends a USB and when he returned to me I saw a warning by the Anti virus, I scanned and cleaned it before open, then started this, he informed me that his laptop infected, but I though when scan before open will be ok,
    I hope I gave clear idea about this issue,

Regards

6. Phantom010

Both those folders are legitimate. They are normally hidden and protected (that's why they look faded out). Do not delete them.

Open Folder Options > View

Put a check mark on Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

Also tick Do not show hidden files and folders.

[​IMG]

7. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

phantom010 , it was done.. !! you are great helper indeed, lot of thanks and wishing a a merry Xmas and happy new year 2011 for you all Tech guys indeed you are always very helpful to me..

Once again many thanks for the kind efforts phantom010 and have a great day :)

8. Phantom010

You're welcome!

Happy Holidays!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice