1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Some keys on laptop not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joe snuffy, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joe snuffy

joe snuffy Thread Starter

I have an HP omnibook xe and the G, H, and ' keys will not work. I tried to clean the keyboard, but that didnt help. I replaced the keyboard and still the same keys are not working. Is this a problem with the system board or maybe some software issues? Any help would be appreciated.

2. titanium_soul

titanium_soul

i would guess its the ribbon cable going from the keyboard to the motherboard :(

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The cable is part of the keyboard in most Omnibooks.

I'd try the keys from a DOS prompt, download any basic boot disk from www.bootdisk.com and see if you can type those 3 keys.

4. joe snuffy

I tried the DOS boot disc and still no luck. I am guessing that it probably going to be the mother board? I did recently do a fresh install of Windows XP you think that there may have been some corrupt files?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well using a DOS boot disk completely removes Windows out of the equation.

Thats bad news if its the motherboard.

6. joe snuffy

I suppose thats what it is just hoping that someone knew something that might fix it. I appreciate the effort. Thanks!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/471576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice