1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Some laptops won't connect after netgear n900 router restart

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Oze12345, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oze12345

Oze12345 Thread Starter

A few days ago my ISP connection dropped out for a few hours. After the modem/router restart I discovered that all wired devices and some wireless devices can connect but a few of the wireless devices are unable to connect and cannot ping the router. As soon as I plug them in with a wired connection they work. The router is a Netgear N900 with the latest firmware upgrade. Both he 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz connections are set to use wpa2 aes authentication. Even when the ping shows a general failure, the router logs show an access denied message for the Mac address that attempted the ping. When I switch to security none connections work fine. There is also a Sony Bravia tv on the network that was connecting fine before the restart but now will only connect when the network security is set to none. None of the router settings changed. None of the pc settings changed.

The network setup is pretty simple.

Adsl2 modem accesses the Internet successfully.
    This then feeds into the wan connection of the netgear n900.
    An old vista windows desktop is wired to the netgear and has connectivity
    A brother laser printer is wired to the netgear and has connectivity
    An asus laptop with an atheros wifi adapter and running windows 7 connects wirelessly to either the 2.4 or 5.0 band and has connectivity
    An asus laptop with an atheros wifi adapter and running windows 7 attempts to connect wirelessly to the 2.4 band, doesn't pick up the 5.0 band and has no connectivity until security on the router is turned off or it is wired to the router (however worked fine a few days ago wirelessly with wpa2 security)
    A dell laptop with a dw1530 wireless card connects wirelessly to my work network but cannot connect wirelessly at home. It has a VPN client installed but does not connect even when VPN is suspended. It will connect with and without VPN when wired to the router and it was also working fine before the restart. It detects both the 2.4 and 5.0 connections.
    An apple ipad2 and 3 ipods connect reliably with no connectivity issues and detect both 2.4 and 5.0 broadcasts.
    A Sony bravia Internet tv was connecting successfully to either band but now only connects when security is removed from the router.

Initially I thought the problem was limited to the asus so have tried a number of problem solving strategies there with no success including reverting to a previous retore point, upgrading wifi drivers, disabling ipv6.

Now that the dell and the tv are involved I am focused on the router. I have not had any problems with it since I bought it nearly a year ago and it has been coping well. Our previous router had troubles with the Minecraft port forwarding settings and the Bravia tv interference but the n900 has been working beautifully with everything I throw at it until this point.

I also attempted to set up a second router as a repeater so I could get a wired connection to the asus as a work around but the n900 complained that this setup was not compatible with a wpa2 security setting and the second router doesn't have wep. That's actually how I discovered the problem goes away when wpa2 is off. After the repeater setup worked I unplugged the laptop to see if it would work wirelessly without the security and both it and the tv connected. However I am not prepared to run with an unsecured network so wps is back on now.

I have tried everything I can thnk of on my own and am completely stumped. Please help if you can. This problem is drivingme insane and causing serious sleep deprivation. I cannot rest until it is fixed.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe I missed the answer above--do those other devices work OK with WPA-PSK TKIP encryption?

3. Oze12345

Oze12345 Thread Starter

No they didn't work with wpa-Psk tkip or wep.

But I have just fixed it with a factory reset of the router. Haven't tested the tv yet but the other laptops now connect ok.

Must have been some corrupted settings of some sort but all works ok now.
    So relieved!

4. Oze12345

Oze12345 Thread Starter

Tv connects now too. All with aes encryption. Was reading through some security alerts and saw all the warnings about the wps pin but when I went in to disable it, it wouldn't unselect. All seemed to be locked up so that's what made me think about a factory reset. Probably should have tried that first. Would have saved me hours!!!

Now I have my network back to normal and understand heaps more about networking than when I started. Thanks to this forum for all the high quality posts I read to help me arrive at the answer and for just being there as a backup when I had all but given up hope.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glad the reset to factory defaults did the job for you.

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1076106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice