1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Some sounds won't play

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ntwiles, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ntwiles

Ntwiles Thread Starter

Hi, I've recently had a lot of spyware on my computer that I've been trying to get rid of. I've got a big part of it removed, but after my efforts my speakers have something weird going on. I can play music from my iTunes fine, but any sound I try to play from my browser won't play. I don't get any errors, I just don't hear anything.

The only audio device I have in my device manager is "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device", which makes little sense to me. I'm not sure if that's referring to my speakers or not. When I go to Sounds and Audio Devices in the control panel though, it tells me there are no audio devices connected.

So my questions are: Is this "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device" referring to my speakers? And if not, what can I do to get my computer to detect the speakers? Obviously they're hooked up right and functional, so what else could the problem be?

My operating system is XP. Hopefully I gave you guys enough information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Does your computer have a dial up modem installed? Thatwould be what the Unimodem HalF Duplex Audio Device is. If you are not showing any Audio devices in Device Manager other than the Modem then you would probably need to reinstall the the Audio Drivers for the motherboard.

3. Ntwiles

Ntwiles Thread Starter

I honestly don't know about the dail up. I definitely don't have a dial up modem right now ha.

I don't know anything about Audio Drivers work. Are they specific to the brand of speaker? Would I have to download something to install them? I already have something called "Legacy Audio Drivers" in my device manager.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is there a cad in your computer where you can plg in a regular phone line? There are no drivers for speakers. The Drivers are for the Audio Card or On Board audio for your system.

Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

5. Ntwiles

Ntwiles Thread Starter

I wouldn't be able to test it we don't have phone service here. I see that makes more sense. Is it common for viruses to mess up Audio Drivers? Or is it more likely I messed it up myself trying to remove viruses/spyware?

I'd love to, but hardware isn't my strong point. I can tell you it's not custom at all. It's a Gateway E Series but I don't know the exact model. And I know this much:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.00GHz
    1.99GHz, 1.00GB of RAM
    Video Card: Nvidia Geforce MX 440

I can tell you that I have everything basic except for a Firewire card that I've installed.

I hope that helps. I wasn't able to find out how to get the model numbers of any of the hardware. If you could tell me how to find out I can give you those too.

6. maceman

maceman

You could try to re-install your Unimodem Half-Dublex Audio Device driver.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you don't use the dial up modem then there is no need to reinstall the driver for it. It shows up as a sound device because it plays the ring tone and dial tone when you use it to connect to your server. Since you don't use it don't worry about that.

It is not uncommon that a virus might have hit one of the files in your sound card driver. If you can get the model number of the Gateway then you can go to the Gateway site and download the drivers for your audio. Reinstall it then see if it works. Also it is possible that while trying to get rid of virus's you may have deleted the driver. the remedy would be the same, download the driver grom the Gateway site and install it.

8. Ntwiles

Ntwiles Thread Starter

Thank you so much. Apparently you can go to Gateway's website and give them some info and they'll tell you which Driver to download. They didn't have my exact computer model number (Turns out its E-6000), but they had E-6100, and the driver seems to be working perfectly. I appreciate the help.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You are welcome, glad it worked for you.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!