1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Someone Please help me update my bios!!!Ok...So my computer had a 3.0 ghz int

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fretman08, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fretman08

fretman08 Thread Starter

Ok...So my computer had a 3.0 ghz intel 4. processor...i recently upgraded to a intel (d) with a higher ghz...my computer only recognizes the3.0 ghz because my bios needs updated. But when I got to hp to try and update the bios it's only available for vista and my comp. is partitioned with xp and windows 7...someone please help!

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

The windows bios updates tend to be a little risky as it is..if a problem occurs..good chance of ending up with a dead board.
    A bios update with your machine still may not show the full speed of the cpu..as it may be multiplier dependent...naturally those options are missing on an hp bios[Unless there have been recent changes]

If you still want to update the bios..I would do it under vista...that means you would have to get another HDD...put vista on...do the update..or reformat your current setup.

Hard drives are not very expensive these days...after you are done with it you can get an enclosure and use it for an external

Before I did the bios update I would want to be certain that I would be able to use the new cpu at its fullest before taking the risk

3. fretman08

fretman08 Thread Starter

what about bios agent plus??? could that help and b cheaper? It says it can install the missing bios update

4. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

IMO its risky..as you are tossing an application into the equation now...furthering your chances of a failure.
    Before I went any further I would want documentation that the bios update will run the new cpu at its stated speed.

You can also look up that bios version and see if it is also available on the hp site for any systems with 7.
    Generally vista and 7 are about the same regarding drivers installers etc..its the same kernel ...but with a bios update I wouldnt take a chance...I would want to be 100 percent certain that it is ok to use the vista file.....there is a chance you can use it.

5. fretman08

fretman08 Thread Starter

ok tyvm brett!

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Welcome

7. fretman08

fretman08 Thread Starter

So what your saying is it might be possible to put the drivers on a flash drive and upload it via win.7?? And if it doesnt work...what is the worst that could happen?

8. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

The worst that can happen is a dead board....it does happen
    There is a chance though you can use the vista version on your 7.
    Usually its just a small file , download, save, then run.
    Whats the bios version number {new one}..I will see if I can find anything on it

9. fretman08

fretman08 Thread Starter

its version 5.14, 1.37m i believe...

10. fretman08

fretman08 Thread Starter

i could give u the computer model too...it's sr2163wm compq pressario. In case there's another place you could find the bios besides hp.

11. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

The last 3 digits are the file size
    Whats your PC model
    Current bios version
    The link where you found the new version available

Edit
    We cross posted..I will see what I can find

12. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

13. fretman08

fretman08 Thread Starter

Yes...I have tried this already. But whenever I try it it says I don't meet the minimum requirements...Idk what to do. I assumed it meant since I wasnt using vista as my os

14. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

What is your bios version now.?
    Where did you get info that this version would be able to utilize the new cpu at full speed

15. fretman08

fretman08 Thread Starter

micro center...local electronic store...how can I check what version im running now? sorry newb question lol

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice