1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] someone please help...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rainman4U, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rainman4U

Rainman4U Thread Starter

Ok... I thought I had a problem on this computer with my linksys wireless router and my new wireless 2.4ghz phone, so I ran a new cable through the attick to direct link the second computer to the router... guess what.. still slow... like ten to 15 seconds to load pages..

Ran ad-aware and have NAV 2004 both full scans and clean...

decided to try safe mode with networking, and low and behold the damn thing works perfectly in safe mode.... so something is loading up in the backround that i dont like... and i would love it if someone can help me get rid of it... obviously i have ruled out hardware at this point. I ran the process viewer ( as you can see in the printout in hijackthis as it was still open, and didnt see any processes that caught my eye other then essspk.exe that i didn't know what it was... that was actually the key word that found this web site when i did the search...

Thankfully I stumbled across this website from a keyword search on google and read a post that gave me the knowledge to download and already run hijackthis, and the following is the log....

Can someone please help??? I am a Tech... so don't be shy... I am just more hardware oriented then software....

Thanks....

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 7:23:20 PM, on 9/27/2003
    Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\GHOSTS~2.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\essspk.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\KEYCOM~1\Commandr.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AIM95\aim.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Process Viewer\PrcView.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Documents and Settings\Cory\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EssSpkPhone] essspk.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GhostStartTrayApp] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\KEYCOM~1\Commandr.EXE /HIDDEN
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRA~1\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe 1
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug (HKCU)
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinst.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9DBAFCCF-592F-FFFF-FFFF-00608CEC297C} - http://download.weatherbug.com/minibug/tricklers/AWS/minibuginstaller.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37644.9701157407
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

2. Rainman4U

Rainman4U Thread Starter

every web page is taking ten to fifteen seconds to switch.. but only when booted in normal mode. If I boot into safe mode with networking IE works fine, and I can move between pages without a hitch...

I had thought it was my wireless connection to my router so I even ran a new hardwire directly to my router, so I know there is no interference with my new phones ( also 2.4ghz ).

I uninstalled and reinstalled IE6SP1 but no help...

The pages themselves are not loading slow.. when they start to load, they load fast... it is the actual switch from one page to the next that is the delay... IE, if in hot mail, from one email to the next...

at first I thought it was a delay on MSN server, but it didnt happen on my win 2000 machine, and it doesnt happen on this machine ( xp pro ) when booted into safe mode with network support.

any ideas.... please??? I asked last night, but nobody replied...

Thanks...

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome, I've merged both of your threads. Try thinning down your startup list via start, run, msconfig, startup tab.

BTW, when no one replies, post back to your same thread and that will bump it back to the top again.

4. Rainman4U

Rainman4U Thread Starter

Ty for merging the two posts... I have been messing with this computer all night last night until about 5 am ... I even ran it with all startup items disabled... no help..

in safemode it works... normal mode it does not... the delay is worse then being on dialup.. lol

I have NAV 2004, Ad-aware 6.0 with the latest engine, both come up clean. I have manually deleted all the temp internet files from all the users accounts and have no clue where to go from here.

I imagine it is POSSIBLE that there is a hardware problem... I know that safemode and regular mode switch to 32bit mode and perhaps there is a processor problem that is not seen in safe mode, but i just think that everything else is running to well for that to be the case. the ONLY problem I am having on this computer is the delay on IE when changeing pages or refreshing pages. no blue screens, no error messages, no locks ups.. etc..

5. ~Candy~

Can you post your IRQ listing?

Start, run, msinfo32, enter, hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

XP is supposed to IRQ share better, but it sounds like something may not be playing happy together.

6. Rainman4U

Rainman4U Thread Starter

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 5 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 5 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 OK
    IRQ 5 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 5 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) OK
    IRQ 5 Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM) OK
    IRQ 5 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4) OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

7. ~Candy~

IRQ 5 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 5 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 OK
    IRQ 5 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) OK
    IRQ 5 Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM) OK
    IRQ 5 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4) OK

I'm thinking that this is the problem. If you go to device manager, can you change any of these to another IRQ?????? I don't do that much work with XP, so I'm not sure if that is an option or not.

Another idea is, if you don't have anything connected to the serial ports (com ports) disable those in the bios setup to give more options for those devices to switch around.

8. Rainman4U

Rainman4U Thread Starter

ok... two things have happened in the past ten mins that make me think MAYBE it may not be just the internet. First... when you had me do start.. run.. msinfo32.. enter... nothing happened... ( at least not for about 30 seconds to a min... I started thinking maybe you wanted me to do it from a cmd prompt or something... then... while looking at the device mgr on the network card at the resources ( which are greyed out by the way ) just for the heck of it, I clicked on troubleshooting... again.. nothing happened... then about a min. later the troubleshooter opened... so I guess I am having delays on the system for other stuff too... just had not noticed before. nothing like opening word and typing a letter or printing it over the network... nor even opening the device mgr.. there was no delay there...

Im still lost... sigh...

9. ~Candy~

Can you scan for viruses?

10. Rainman4U

Rainman4U Thread Starter

no viruses

11. Rainman4U

Rainman4U Thread Starter

well it is definately an IE problem...

First of all... I downloaded Netscape 7.1 even though the same delays where present in switching pages were present getting to the download... the download itself only took about 2.5 mins for 26 meg. there is nothing wrong with my network or my nic card.

The problem is with Internet explorer, and changing from one page to another.

Netscape works perfectly...... I guess I could just make netscape my default browser, but that is just masking a problem that apparently is hiding in my reg somewhere i guess.

Since IE is embedded in windows, I can't actually uninstall it and reinstall it without reinstalling windows itself.... any suggestions??? anything to look for that may cause this kind of problem with IE in the reg files?

12. ~Candy~

Can you try an IE repair?

13. Rainman4U

Rainman4U Thread Starter

I had uninstalled and reinstalled IE6sp1... that didnt help.. I just did a reinstall of xp as a repair install ( a dirty install ) and that did not seem to help either, but then again, if its something buried in the registry, it's not going to... the registry stays intact in a repair reinstall... thats why all your programs still work when it finally returns to your desktop. Something in the registry is loading that is effecting IE and I am not even sure where to begin looking. It is something that is not loaded in safemode, but is loaded during a full load. I hate to think that I cant outsmart this thing and have to debug the drive and reload... I already backed up everything and I know i can restore everything... I just hate to give up...

14. ~Candy~

Most of the difference between safe mode and normal mode is hardware drivers and the autoexec.bat and config.sys files (although off the top of my head, I'm not sure XP still puts or uses anything in those two files).

15. Rainman4U

Rainman4U Thread Starter

its actually a lot more involved then that...

For instance.. most viruses can be snuffed out if you start in safe mode, the reason, they can't load.

MSBLAST for instance doesn't load in safe mode... it is located in the registry in....

hkey localmachine, software, microsoft, windows, currentversion, run, and all the way as usually the last entry... that little bugger is in there telling the machine to load.

now I only know this because i was told it, not cause im a software guy... I am mostly hardware... but i remember that kinda stuff... so if i do have a customer with the virus, i will help them remove it, i look like the hero.. yeah me...

I am just lost on this one... I think that there is something like that somewhere in my registry that is causing it, something that is bypassed at startup in safemode, but not in full mode.

hmmmmmmmmmm

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice