1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: someone stole my password?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by MMcDev14, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MMcDev14

MMcDev14 Thread Starter

I was blacklisted from a forum today for writing something I never wrote, but I was sent an email with "my" quote, and I never wrote what was written.

Someone must have signed in with my password/name, but I don't know how. No one I know knows my password, and I haven't used a public computer for this site in months, and if I ever did I was sure to sign out.

Is there a way to tell if someone is getting my information somehow?

2. MMcDev14

MMcDev14 Thread Starter

3. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

You need to contact the administrator of the site where you are having problems. There is no way we can help you with that from this site.

4. MMcDev14

MMcDev14 Thread Starter

yeah all is settled. Someone else did indeed post under my name as the admin told me through IP address info.

But is there a way to find out if someone is getting my password information somehow?

5. cybertech

Have you checked your machine for malware/spyware/keyloggers?

Why do you think someone would pick that one site to use your userID?

6. MMcDev14

MMcDev14 Thread Starter

I'm all clear - I think it was just on that forum, because the IP address they found is the same IP for someone who has been in this trouble before. He's been pirating users on this particular forum, so I don't think its just me.

And you are right anyway, what kind of "hacker" would steal passwords for only a message board??

7. cybertech

OK, happy I could send you in the right direction and I hope under the circumstances you were reinstated!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!