1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Something broke Virtual Box?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Riverglen, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I have Virtual Box running on two different Win-7 Home Premium machines, and each installation has two or three VM's installed. I discovered yesterday that none of the VMs on either machine will run. Every attempt on either host machine results in the same error message, and the VM fails to start. (See attached screen clip).

I don't run Virtual Box all that often, so I don't know how long ago this problem cropped up. I did check for updates on both host machines and I'm up to date on both.

I'm wondering if a recent Windows update may have broken Virtual Box? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Oops, Lost the attachment somehow. Try again.

Attached Files:

3. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Although the Virtual Box "Update" check in both machines was reporting that the installed versions were up to date, I checked their web site and discovered that a newer version was available for download. So I downloaded and installed the latest version, along with the extensions package. Installation completed with no apparent problems, but the VM's still won't run. No change in the symptoms at all. So.....?

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you run checks on the VDI files and the contents.

5. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I guess I don't know what checks to try, other than trying to use them in Virtual Box. Keep in mind that there are 5 separate VM's and they are distributed across two different host machines. All 5 of them fail to run with the same error message thrown.

I thought that it might be possible that a recent Windows update broke something that Virtual Box uses. And in fact a recent update did create a situation where SFC would find two corrupted files and was unable to fix them. Someone on this forum knew of a tool to fix that, and I used it to clean up the mess on both of my machines. Had no effect on my Virtual Box problem though.

Since my original post, I took a look at a log file that Virtual Box generated, that was referenced by the error message I got. It is a great big file and largely meaningless to me. But I did notice references to MalewareBytes in the log. I have MalewareBytes (free) installed on both machines, but it only runs on demand, and I haven't ever had it alert on much of anything, and never on anything I'd recognize as related to Virtual Box.

So, I'm pretty short on plausible theories.

6. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I finally got around to digging into this problem, and long story short, the cause was the virus scanner that I had recently installed on both machines, BitDefender. When I replaced BitDefender with another anti-virus program, Virtual Box came back to life and everything runs fine.

I'm not sure what led me to consider this as a possibility, but I found a BitDefender forum, and there were several people complaining of problems running Virtual Box. Apparently BitDefender commandeers some sort of resource that Virtual Box needs, with the result that they don't play nice together. Kind of a shame, since BitDefender seems to bubble up to the top of the rankings when anti-virus scanner programs are compared.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Many antivirus software work by creating a temporary virtual machine to test stuff in. That is why you need one designed to work with VMs

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!