Solved: Something went horribly wrong after RAM placement

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mitk0o0o0

Hello, so my friend gave another person his 512MB RAM DDR which I believe is 400Hz or something of the sort.
The person's computer has in total 4 memory slots, 2 being used with two 256MB RAM sticks and the other 2 free.
So we took off the cover, completely powered off the computer by unplugging and everything and inserted the 512MB stick into the free slot.

Then we turned on the computer and we heard a few beeps at the beginning, and just a black screen saying "no signal". We said ok, no biggie, that must mean that it's just incompatible. So for a last try, we tried putting the 512MB stick into the other free slot, after that, screen appeared but quite f***ed up looking and some quick text appeared "memory failure... blablaa more text".

We turned off the computer, took off the 512MB stick and powered the computer on again hoping that everything will work as normal since we took off the incompatible stick but it just kept on saying "no signal" on his monitor and there was some weird popping noise coming from his computer ever since.

We have no idea what just happened and what to do. If someone here knows what the problem is and how to solve it without buying anything new that would be great, I don't feel like paying for that guy's repair.. :(

The 512MB stick by the way had a sticker with something of the lines DDR400 and then 500MX оr something like that. So we thought the "DDR400" and the "400" on his current sticks meant they both match and should work.

crjdriver

You may have damaged something while working inside the case however there are some things you can try;

1 Remove ALL ram from the mb. Now pw ON and see if you get a beep code; this means the board knows there is no ram inserted. If you get a beep code, then shutdown and install ONLY one stick of the ram you know works. Pw ON and see if it will post.

2 If the above does not work, clear cmos using the clear jumper. Read your mb manual for the exact location of the jumper on the mb.

If none of the above does anything, you most likely damaged the mb.

mitk0o0o0

You may have damaged something while working inside the case however there are some things you can try;

1 Remove ALL ram from the mb. Now pw ON and see if you get a beep code; this means the board knows there is no ram inserted. If you get a beep code, then shutdown and install ONLY one stick of the ram you know works. Pw ON and see if it will post.

2 If the above does not work, clear cmos using the clear jumper. Read your mb manual for the exact location of the jumper on the mb.

If none of the above does anything, you most likely damaged the mb.
Thanks for the quick reply, I will try those tomorrow and report back if the issue is solved. In the mean time, more suggestions are welcome. :)

If you have integrated graphics card on your motherboard, then plug the monitor to the vga port of the integrated GPU and remove the discrete GPU while doing the above mentioned steps by crjdriver.

mitk0o0o0

Well I'm not sure what exactly happened but right when I was on my way to his home he told me he already solved the problem by touching his vga cable. Thanks for the help guys. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online