1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: something wrong with my router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by westonbyrne, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. westonbyrne

westonbyrne Thread Starter

I was playing on my ps3 (which receives a connection wirelessly via my wireless router) when it just disconnected. went to the pc and it wasn't working there either. i have a 'D-Link DIR-601' wireless router and when connected to the internet, the little earth is green. now it was orange, as if the internet had been shut off.

after some unplugging and plugging back in and some cord swapping, i noticed that the modem to the pc was fine. only when it went through the router did the internet not work. now no one was at the computer. just happened.

I was wondering if anyone could help me? maybe it is simple and i am just not thinking straight.

thank you :)

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

I will move to networking
    heres the online manual http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DIR-601
    just looking up the symbols - but the little earth - i suspect is the internet when you are connected via the ISP
    whats the make and model of the modem ?

you may need to reset the router - but lets just look up some details

Just confirm - all PCs connected to the router do not work - are you using wireless and cable to connect and are both types of connection not working ?

EDIT:
    First answer above questions and then
    looking at the manual - check the status page (status along the top menu) and see if you have an IP under WAN section.
    I would turn the modem and the router and PCs off
    then
    turn on the modem allow to settle and all the lights to show correctly - 3-5 mins
    turn on the router and allow to settle check the lights are all ok
    now tune on the PCs
    If this does not work
    you may need to do a factory reset on the router and re-configure

3. westonbyrne

westonbyrne Thread Starter

okay.. it is back up and working XD thanks! all i did was wait a min longer before powering on the router after powering on the modem ^^ geez.... simple.... now if only i could get my DS Lite to connect online through the router XD

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

Post back and ipconfig /all from a PC connected by wireless
    and details of how are you setting up the DS Lite

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949312