Solved: Sometimish laptop screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

deeceedee

Hello to All,

My laptop screen shows clear and crisp for about an hour , then the colours change to much lighter ones, ( No flickering) and it is difficult to read the fonts and the display picture is fadey. Then it slips back to the origininal screen after a while , then back and forth. The DPI size is 96 DPI ( Normal Size) , ...Screen refresh rate is 60 hertz, .....Adapter type is Neo Magic Magic Graph 256 AV driver. I've tried upping the refresh rate to 70 hertz, but the problem persists. The Hardware accelleration is at full and I've also tried dropping that but with no results. It's a pain in the nose (as you can imagine not being able to travel unless there's access to an external monitor ). So I've connected a normal external monitor, which works well, and turned off the l'top monitor.
Is there a solution to this problem other than installing a new screen ? I've thought about upgrading the driver, but seeing that the external monitor is working fine, I presume it's not a driver problem . Could it be the cable ?
Welcoming any and all advice from the Gurus.

Thanks in advance ,

Deeceedee

Hmm...the inverter cable could be it. It would be my first guess/try, cheaper than trying a new screen :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It sounds like the backlight is failing, I think you'll need to send it in for repair. I doubt this will turn out to be a cable issue, but who knows... FWIW, the cable in question inside the laptop, so it's not like it's easy to get to. :)

deeceedee

Thanks Msgtgumby,
As I'm not travelling any time soon, will wait awhile just in case anyone else has encountered a similar problem and can advise. It's just frustrating that right now I can't surf the net whilst indulging in my favourite hobby of night fishing off the beach, as there are no power outlets in the sand to plug a monitor into.

Regards ,

Deeceedee

deeceedee

Hi John,
Just a quick query. In your experience, is the backlight easily accessible to replace/ repair, unlike the inverter cable ?

Deeceedee

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Nothing in a laptop is "easy" to access or repair. It also varies according to the make/model of the specific laptop. Sometimes, they're pretty easy to get apart, other times, you think the devil himself designed them! :D However, once you get inside, you have another issue. With no servicing information and spare parts, it's very difficult many times to determine what has failed. With desktops, it's easy to substitute parts to isolate the failure, not so easy with laptops...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online