1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sony VAIO desktop fan making noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skipperc25, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skipperc25

skipperc25 Thread Starter

I've opened up my Sony desktop, Model PCV-RX550, and blown out the dust but my fan keeps making consistently louder noises and sounds like it's going to quit all together at times. Could someone please tell me what specs I need in shopping for a new fan? A friend said to get a low voltage fan as they make less noise...is that true?
    Thanks!!

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Which fan are we talking about here...the one on the CPU heatsink???

3. skipperc25

I don't know. How can I tell which fan is the problem? (I didn't realize there were two.)

4. skipperc25

OK, now I've opened up the case and determined it's not one of the two fans making a noise. What else inside could be making a revving noise? It's about a three second cycle of revving & slowing with no quiet periods.

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Take a look at the images below

Does it seem like it sits on top of something?

Attached Files:

6. replay

replay

7. skipperc25

I've determined ite cause of the noise is neither fan. It sounds like it's coming from the area where my disk drives are located. Could my hardrive be fried if the computer still works fine?

8. replay

replay

u could go to the mfr and dl the diagnostics for the hd.........also it wouldn't be a bad idea to backup any data u care about right now

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Your hard drive can still run but will be noisy......

To test you theory get a pencil and put it on the Hard drive you think is the problem and then put your thumb the end of the pencil and put your ear ti your thumb.......you should hear something

If t=you have two Hard drives try them both

10. skipperc25

I've ruled out the HD. I think I've traced the noise to whatever the small fan sits on top of.

11. bonk

bonk Banned

That would be the heatsink...........it could be that it has come slightly loose....turn off the PC and see if it is loose at all..

Attached Files:

12. skipperc25

The heatsink did not appear to be loose at all but after rebooting, the noise has changed slightly. With the computer running I can't quiet the noise by applying pressure to the fan or the sides of the heatsink.

13. bonk

bonk Banned

If you feel comfortable there should be some levers on the sides of the heatsink try loosing them off and the setting them back in place...

14. skipperc25

Bonk...can I try this with the power on to see if I can make the noise stop or does the computer need to be off?

15. bonk

bonk Banned

I would turn it off as the fan will be running with it ON...
    If you still cannot stop the noise then a bearing in the fan maybe going and you need to replace the fan.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/550134