1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: sony vaio VGN FS470/w wireless will not connect to wep netgear router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bumbledor, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Having problems connecting to NetGear and Belkin wireless routers, that require WEP password.
    The wireless connection sees the router, full strength -5 bars, and asks for the password. After I give it twice, it just sits there and does not connnect.

Tried running update driver, but latest one on sony website is the one I have - from 2005

Running XP Home ed, Service pack 2, up to date.

I have not installed SP3 because of possible conflicts with the AMD cpu chipset, and last time I did it crashed the entire system.

Any help appreacated

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    take the security OFF the router and see if you can connect to the wireless unsecured

also delete any wireless profiles on the PC

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to remove Wireless Profiles
    http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/t109-removing-an-existing-wireless-profile

How to remove Wireless Profiles - for Vista and Windows 7
    http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tutorials-f17/removing-an-existing-wireless-profile-t109.htm
    - Vista/Windows7:
    http://www.tp-link.com/support/showfaq.asp?id=214
    - delete the wireless profiles
    Start> control Panel> classic view> network and sharing center> manage wireless networks

Delete the profiles
    you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to - so make sure you know the correct password , and not using an incorrect password at all

How to remove Wireless Profiles - for XP
    http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tutorials-f17/removing-an-existing-wireless-profile-t109.htm
    - XP
    http://www.tp-link.com/support/showfaq.asp?id=186
    - delete the preferred networks
    start> control panel> network connections> right click on the wireless connection> listed wireless networks tab in the preferred network list click on each one and - remove button

you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to - so make sure you know the correct password , and not using an incorrect password at all

3. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Ok. I deleted all the prefered connections.
    Cleared the list.

Then I "viewed" all available networks.
    It showed the one I wanted.. said it needed a network key, which I put in correctly twice.
    Then I hit ok..
    Then it tried to connect and gave me an error saying it was not within range - even though it showed the network had 5 bars on the signal strenght.

I know the password was right, because I used it on my Ipod-touch and it worked.

Gotta be somethign with the driver, or with sony Vaio's.. And their latest driver is dated 2005.

4. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Ok. I deleted all the prefered connections.
    Cleared the list.

Then I "viewed" all available networks.
    It showed the one I wanted.. said it needed a network key, which I put in correctly twice.
    Then I hit ok..
    Then it tried to connect and gave me an error saying it was not within range - even though it showed the network had 5 bars on the signal strenght.

I know the password was right, because I used it on my Ipod-touch and it worked.

Gotta be somethign with the driver, or with sony Vaio's.. And their latest driver is dated 2005.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you using a HEX key or an ascii passcode? Sometimes an ascii passcode is translated differently by different devices.

What wireless utility are you using to manage the connection? Are you sure no other one is running?

Is there some reason why you cannot use the secure WPA-PSK?

6. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

im using MS to manage the connection. It asks for password, and I type in the word.
    The router is using wpa2-psk as thats the way my kid brother set it up.
    No other network is detected and Ive removed all the prefered networks from that list.

I use secure wpa-psk on my linksys router at home with no problem..
    Its just these new belkin and netgear ones that are giving my laptop problems.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, we're no longer talking about "Having problems connecting to NetGear and Belkin wireless routers, that require WEP password"?

I think that no adapter with a 2005 driver will support WPA2.

8. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Im talking about an Sony Viao, Running Service pack 2, running an AMD CPU, with the latest drivers from SONY, (which happen to be 2005), that will NOT connect wireless, to a wep key required belkin or netgear wireless router.

I have not allowed Service pack 3 to be installed because the last time I did, it crashed the entire system, and I lost too much data, and had to restart it from factory settings.

So I am hoping someone else out there has had sony viao problems that can help me figure out how to get this blasted thing to connect. Otherwise the wireless function on it, is about useless, as the new routers comming in here will be netgear ones.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK. If we're still talking about WEP encryption see my post # 5. Also, as etaf already suggested, try w/o encryption.

10. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

It will connect to those routers if their systems are "open" but not if they use wep keys. Both routers are NOT mine. I do not control their access systems. Both are in areas were secure connections are necessary.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If they need secure connections encourage them to use WPA or WPA2, as WEP is not secure if somebody wants to break it. :)

Hex key or ascii passcode?

12. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

The router is using wpa2-psk as thats the way my kid brother set it up. the password is a name of a place, ascii. For example, (and this is not it,) "Fieldhouse" without the quote marks.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    We're going in circles now, and I am getting dizzy. My best guess (and last reply unless there is new information) is that the router is using WPA2 and your adapter does not support WPA2. It probably will support WPA.

14. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Actually, I already said that in part 6 above..

Apparently there is a difference between wpa and wpa2.. what ever that is.

Oh well,. Im going to mark this thread as solved, even though it is not. The problem seems to be lack of a proper and updated driver.

15. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

after discussing this entire thread with various people, AND looking on the internet, I find that the answer PROBABLY is this: Lack of an updated driver from Sony. The last driver for this laptops wireless card was dated 2005. So I am going to presume that the laptop is not able to use wpa2.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!