1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sony Vaio

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bababouyaw, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bababouyaw

bababouyaw Thread Starter

hello everyone
    im having a hard time firguring out what i need to completely format my laptop.
    on some forums ive noticed people talking about recovery cd that i dont have cuz its a second hand laptop. but ive been working with alot of files lately and its getting kinda messy so i want to format everything and start back at 0.
    ive had experience in the past formatting my desktop pc but i dont know how different it is to format a laptop. i have all the drivers needed backed up on an external hard drive along with all the important files im going to need. is it as easy as restarting and pressing F10 or is there a different way in windows 7 to do this ? also this has been bugging me for a while now , why do i have 2 program files in my c drive ? thank you .

2. TekTime

TekTime

If you have a recovery partition, chances are you can restore your PC back to the factory image.

If there is no recovery partion, you can either purhase or borrow an installation disk that is the same OS version as your current PC, and formay your drive/install Windows.

3. bababouyaw

Hey TekTime , thank you for your reply.
    is there a way around having to borrow or purchase a recovery cd ? cant i just do it the way i have mentioned in my original post by pressing F10 and having a complete format ? i have a windows 7 cd and the laptops drivers, what else is required to be able to have it running ? thanks again.

4. bababouyaw

might i add that when i first got my laptop it had windows xp running which i had to format later on and install windows 7.

5. Megabite

Megabite

Do you have the Windows 7 Install disc?

6. bababouyaw

I do . Windows 7 Ultimate...

7. Megabite

Megabite

Then just put the W7 disk in and do a fresh install of windows 7...it will delete all existing data

8. bababouyaw

hmmm...when i had to install the windows 7 over my windows xp it kept some of the previous already exsisting files even after windows 7 was installed , thats why i asked about why i had two program files in my original post , but it was quite a while back i must of asked for help and got the answer to install windows 7 as a secondary operating system cuz i havent backed up the drivers back then...but now that i have them backed up on an external hard drive is it safe to reinstall windows 7 and deleting all previous data ? and would that completely make my laptop "right out the box" new ?

9. Megabite

Megabite

No it won't make it like when it came from the store because it had XP on it...the only way would be if you used the F10 key function on startup....if it has a recovery partition....however it may not and it also may be damaged when you install the W7.

Do you have Windows 7 drivers for the laptop?

10. bababouyaw

Windows 7 Drivers ? I have the install disk , it should be included in that?

11. bababouyaw

i'm sorry its just that the further i get into details about a certain thing the stupider i get :p

12. Megabite

Megabite

I'm a bit confused....you have a laptop that came with XP........so the any discs that came with the PC is for XP ..drivers aswell.

13. bababouyaw

since then i have downloaded the windows 7 drivers for the latop , ohhh is that what u meant by windows 7 drivers ? then yeah i have the windows 7 drivers if thats what u were refering to, all backed up on an external hard drive. sorry for misleading.

14. Megabite

Megabite

Then you should be good to go if you have a Full Install Windows 7 disk....just put it in and choose a fresh install

15. bababouyaw

:D:D:D

is there an option on this site rewarding points for the best answer ? thanks for bearing and helping me through this. Cheers!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice