1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Soo My Parents Computer Crashed

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by idontknowjak, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. idontknowjak

idontknowjak Thread Starter

Well they told me about the problem about a month ago... I told them that i would try to fix it.. ( of course with everyones help :) )

Heres a little info about the computer... Its a Gateway Computer with ME for the operating system.

Whenever the computer boots, it will start out as normal. The Gateway trademark comes up... soon after that the ME logo pops up... Right after the ME logo the Screen turns black, and it says " Missing or curupted file C:\WINDOWS\System32\VMM32.VXD "

I really dont know what is up with the computer... How do i attempt to troubleshoot this... I have the ME bootable floopy disk. But i have no clue to what it does... So Is there anychance that WE can get my parents computer up and going again?

Idontknowjak,

PS. If u need anyinformation just ask... cause i am sure i havent gave all the info needed...

Thanks again,

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

As far as I know the only fix for this will be to re-install WinME over itself, as the fileVMM32.vxd will need to rebuild itself and cannot be simply extracted from the Windows CD.

Are you using a UMAX scanner by any Chance ?

EvileYe.

3. Tushman

Tushman Banned

4. idontknowjak

Yes EvileYe,

My parents had a Umax Scanner...

As far as reinstalling the operating system how hard is that?

5. idontknowjak

I went to the site that EvilEye suggested. I got to the point where i needed to find the Umaxis11.386 file, I done a search in the system.ini folder and could not locate the file. :(

I then went to this site http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258471 . i cannot seem to find the Ifshlp.sys file to extract it. If anyone can give me some help that would be greatly appreciated...

Do you think just reinstalling the Operating system would be easier?

Idontknowjak

6. EvileYe

EvileYe

7. Tushman

Tushman Banned

I'm surprised you didn't find those lines in your system.ini - i would try one more time and follow the directions very carefully. You really don't need to do a clean format for something like this.

You can reinstall windows on top of itself rather than doing a clean format. If you choose to do so, make sure that yoiu have all your device drivers ready beforehand.

8. idontknowjak

Heres the deal... My computer doesnt even load... So there for i cannot go to Start,Run,ect... as in the example. I then restarted the computer with the ME startdisk. With the Dos prompt i opened the system.ini file, through typing in Edit, then going to file, open, and then i typed in C:\Windows... I opened the system.ini and there was no umaxis11.386 or anything that resembled it... So what to do now?

Idontknowjak

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is it still stopping on the same VXD error message? Also, do you have the option to hit F 8 as soon as you hear the beep and choose safe mode?

10. idontknowjak

ok i just tried safe mode... i hit shift f8 and then it asked me some quiestions like " Do you want to boot using the registry, Do you want to be able to use all the drivers. ect..." I just said yes to all of these and i still get the VMM32 error... :( anymore suggestions :)

idontknowjak

11. ~Candy~

I don't want step by step, I want safe mode.....unless that is what ME does.....not too familiar with ME.

12. EvileYe

EvileYe

I would try saying no to using all the drivers when you try to boot in safe mode, as this seems to be where the problem is stemming from.

13. idontknowjak

I went to boot through safe mode, and it said that that Windows is bypassing the startup files. About two seconds after that i still get the VMM32 message. I then tried the Step by Step confimation methos. That as well did not work.. :(

BTW when u buy a computer arent you supposed to get a copy of the OS incase u need to reinstall it?

14. ~Candy~

Or restore cds.

15. idontknowjak

So how do i use these restore disk to my advantage?:confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice