1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sort msgs by name AND date

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DKTaber, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I've used Outlook Express for many years, so I'm somewhat embarrassed to be asking this question now. I frequently have to locate all the message sent by someone, so click the "From" column header to group the messages by sender. Problem is, I'd also like the message for each sender by in descending date order. I can't find any way to do that; it seems OE will only sort on one column and the date column is random. Is there as way to sort message by more than one column?

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

When you sort by Name, the Received field is not being display in ascending date sequence?

I just tried on my OE, and it happens that way!

This seems to be true with any column. IE Sorting by the "attachment (paperclip)", sorts in ascending date.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Yes. . . that's the way it happens by default. What I'd like to know is, is there any way to sort OE messages on more than one column at a time -- like you can in Excel, Access, etc.? If not, are there other e-mail clients that will do that?

4. WhitPhil

I don't think there is any way to do it.

But, your original post indicated that date is random. I don't see that on my OE. Date always seems to be the second sort field, and is ascending.

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Oooops. You're right. In the case that caused me to write the original question, I had not noticed the YEAR in some of the dates, so thought it was random.

Never mind. I'll mark as solved.

6. WhitPhil

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!