1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sound Blaster and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mishmannah, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mishmannah

mishmannah Thread Starter

I have another hardware related question that I spent some time on researching, but need advice on.

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy sound card installed, that worked fine in XP, but when I upgraded to Windows 7, the card started to produce crackling/interference sounds and whatever I would listen to would slow down when I started working on another program.

Like for example, playing a Youtube clip and using another tab.

It also happens when I play CDs or MP3s.

On the internet, I have read that Creative have been pretty slack with regards to support for older sound cards - even their latest drivers don't work for me, and I cannot install the Daniel K driver because although the card is "working", but there is no evidence of the card being present, according to any drivers I try to install.

I am thinking about buying a new sound card.

Now I have got that out of the way, has anyone bought a more recent Sound blaster card and found that it works OK with Windows 7 pro? I really would like to know, as I have the Creative speakers that I think won't work with other sound cards.

Thanks again. :)

2. pip22

pip22

The Creative speakers do not need a Creative sound card, just as my Sony speakers don't need a Sony sound card.

Unless your Creative speakers have unusual size jack-plugs, all they need is a sound card with the same type of output sockets which are common to nearly all sound cards (usually 3.5mm TRS type).

As for your existing card, Creative have probably decided not to release any Windows 7 drivers for it -- did you check if the driver you downloaded was definitely Win7 compatible? If it didn't expressly say so, it probably isn't. Hence your problem.

3. mishmannah

Pip, I am stumped. I have an "audigy" card, although all of the Audigy group has either "SE" or "value" or "2" as a suffix - I assume mine must be the "value" version. I thought there was support for Win7 on the Creative site, but it seems not likely for my particular card after reading the small print.

Ah well...

Can I just trouble you one more time and ask yourself or any one else if they have a Sound blaster sound card that actually works with Win7?

Thanks for your help. :)

4. mishmannah

'I'm sorted now. Bought a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium card (which is Win 7 friendly), the Audigy card is now consigned to history.

But that was fun...there were loads of Creative Audigy files in the Registry I had to get rid of, that prevented the new card from working. Rebooted, and the card installed.

Happy bunny = me

I only have a few posts on this forum, but I have been greatly impressed by the speed of considerate replies, which I haven't encountered for many years of t'internet. Thank you for your help. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice