1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sound but no picture..

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Johhhhn, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Johhhhn

Johhhhn Thread Starter

Windows media player and some web streams I can get sound but no picture. Any advice please? Thank you.

2. Growly

Growly

It's likely you don't have the correct codec for the stream/file. Try downloading and installing a codec pack. They usually contain the most common codecs but if the files you are using have an uncommon codec, you may have to do some more digging.

3. Johhhhn

Johhhhn Thread Starter

Hi mate, thanks for your reply.
    I`ve downloaded all in one codec packs but the picture is still the same! I thought I may have changed a setting somewhere on my PC but I can`t find the problem. Also I checked my security to see if was being blocked but that seems ok. :(

Cheers.

4. Johhhhn

Johhhhn Thread Starter

Has anyone else experienced this ?

5. bodhost.co.uk

bodhost.co.uk

May I Know which Media player version you are using

6. Johhhhn

Johhhhn Thread Starter

It`s WMP version 11 but also Sopcast will not show picture and some movies hosted a stage6.

7. ank

ank

I had a similar problem and instead of downloading codec packs, I switched to a light, integrated media player with universal playback capabilities. I think a great example of this (and my favourite multimedia program) is VLC player. You can download it as a setup file or a portable app (which I like more!). Just google either VLC or VLC portable.

If your playing a stream in WMP and there's no picture, my GUESS is that the file you are trying to play is encoded in some kind of AVI format; a certain kind of DivX, Xvid or something.... I download ffdshow for an AVI file that I tried to play once, but the infamous ffdShow program didn't have the codec I was looking for (AVI H.264) - I tried playing the file with VLC portable and to my surprise it worked.

8. ank

ank

OOOH Stage6 - download the divX web player or use VLC portable (sorry didn't read entire thread)

9. bodhost.co.uk

bodhost.co.uk

Have you checked the format of the file which you are playing in WMP

10. Johhhhn

Johhhhn Thread Starter

Hi ank, I`ve just downloaded VLC Media Player then opened a media file in VLC and again the audio is there but no picture.

11. Johhhhn

Johhhhn Thread Starter

Type of file in properties is Windows Media Audio/Video file

12. bodhost.co.uk

bodhost.co.uk

Reinstall your WMP because I think it is a internal error

13. Johhhhn

Johhhhn Thread Starter

I`ve downloaded a DivX player and the same happens No picture. The file is nothing special and it plays perfect on my parents PC.

14. Johhhhn

Johhhhn Thread Starter

I already have reinstalled WMP.

15. Johhhhn

Johhhhn Thread Starter

As the problem is not just isolated to one media player I`m wondering if it could be something to do with my graphics driver !! But I have`nt change anything.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice