1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Sound Card Driver Type

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Magnetic_k, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Magnetic_k

Magnetic_k Thread Starter

Well... I was trying to update my sound card driver because the sound in one of my games was choppy and the site told me that updating it might fix the problem, and guess what? I tried to and the card screwed up and no sound would work. So, I uninstalled the driver and now I don't know what sound driver to install because I don't know what sound card I have. I don't want to open the computer up because I don't know what I'm doing but I have no clue what the sound card I have is!! Ahhh! I was wondering if anyone knows a site than can tell me, or what I have to look for - ANYTHING useful at all. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.......can you boot to a dos prompt, then type:

scanreg /restore
    and press enter

choose the date prior to updating the drivers.

3. TOGG

TOGG

Magnetic_k,

If Restore doesn't work for you, there is a free utility that may, depending on the age of your system, be able to tell you everything you need to know and then some.

It's called AIDA32 and is available from this website;
    http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php I have v 3.25 but v 3.20 issued last December is just as good. The site is in English and Hungarian and you need to choose a download carefully.

If you do decide to try it and your sound card is identified AIDA will probably provide a link to the makers website as well.

4. ~Candy~

PM from poster (it'll be easier if you reply back to the thread as I may be away)

Hi, umm, you tried to help me out earlier. It didn't work and I was wondering if you have any other ideas

Ok, when you say 'it didn't work' can we get a clarification of what happened? Error message? A successful restore, but the same problem........help us help you ;)

5. ~Candy~

Series of pms......problem solved.

AcaCandy wrote on 02-13-2003 11:54 PM:
    May I ask how? What did you do?

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magnetic_k wrote on 02-13-2003 05:52 PM:
    I just wanted to say!! Thank you! I fixed it Whooop!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I was trying to reinstall the driver for the last time off the CD I have and it FINALLY dawned on me, that maybe there we different drivers on it for different windows versions, and computer hardwares. I found the right driver, installed it, and my sound is back. I was thanking you because you tried to help me and I appreciated it

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice