[SOLVED] sound card problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

deuce

I just got a new sound card (SoundBlaster Audigy PLatinum) and now I am getings errors and can't install the drivers for it. Creative said not to use driver files from the me cd so I hit cancel at the plup'n play prompts for them, but after that I get an error and then it goes to the desktop wallpaper and stops. (doesn't load windows) The error is: "Cdmninst has caused an error in <unknown>... Cdmninst will now close"

I am going to try pulling out the sound card and maybe then if I use the me drivers I can delete them and use the Creative ones, but until then, I hope that some one will figure out what is wrong.

The previous sound card was a SB 16 PCI and all drivers for it were removed. The computer is a homemade 1.5 Ghz P4 running Win me and 128 mb RDRam. Other peripherials that may be conficting are the Intel ethernet card and a 64mb DDR Raydeon AGP 4x.

Try windows update, somewhere I remember reading something about a new set there for creative cards, could be wrong, but it only takes a minute.

Try the card in a different slot

deuce

well, I didn't try the win update b/c I just did not too long ago and if there are any new they should have automatically installed, but I will go to the site and try to manually do it (God forbid)...

However, there have been some weird things going on. The computer used to just boot up and then go to the "Cmdninst" error and then stop, but I took out the sound card and booted, then put it back in the same slot and it doesn't do anything when you turn it. (You hear a very faint wherring then goes dead..nothing turns on, no lights, no fans, no hard drive, nothing) I took out the sc again and it booted fine. I then put the sc in the slot below and it booted, plug'n play installed all necessary drivers and then went to the "Cdmninst" error and stoped. I shut it down, then took it out, booted and then put it in the same slot (one below the original one) and it died again. (first the faint wherring, then went dead) I took it out and it still was dead. I then took out the network card and it booted. I shut down and put the network card back in, and it died. I tried the slot above and it booted, and then I come to you here. I tried all 6 pci slots and all the same thing, and now it won't really boot with the sc in any of them, and sometimes with the networking card as well. I can't try it without the AGP card as I would have no display and won't know if I get the "Cdmninst" error.

What the hell is happening? It's only a stupid sound card!!

deuce

any ideas Brian? I think if anybody can shed some light on this it would be you. I have talked to some of my friends and so far they can't figure it out. Anybody know what might be going on? This is bizarre. I think it could be the card. I don't really want to take it back yet. I just bought a 100 GB HD from them and it was damaged in shipping, so I'm not thrilled about whining to them again. They may think I'm up to something. That is quite a coincidence that two things in a row are damaged. There is only one Best Buy so I have no choice and they know me well.

I wish I knew, Have you tried calling the Sound Card company and see if someone there can help you? It's worth a shot, if you're desperate enough.

deuce

Yeah I tried that and all they have is this "automated knowledge base." However I solved the problem. The sound card was conflicting with the ethernet card. The computer wouldn't turn on at all (a little bizarre) and do that faint whiizing sound thing, but it finally turned on and then I installed the drivers with out the ethernet card in then put it back in when I was done installing the sound card. I was starting to pull my hair out over it, but it is fixed now. It was a little weird because I tired booting with nothing but the sound card and vid card in before and it didn't work, but it worked this time... oh well... sometimes I guess we just won't understand these computers. Thanks for trying though.

deuce

yes it does... why? are you referring to my compaq in another thread? By the way, how do you change the title of the thread in the forum? (mark it solved) I have tried before but it only changes it in the thread itself and so you can't see it until you open it and read it there.

if your computer boots fine in safe mode this means it is not a hardware issue. probably it is a driver issue.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi deuce, a moderator needs to mark it SOLVED....I did it for you yesterday.... :)

deuce

(lets hear an ohh and an ahh)
my my, what special prevliges you guys get... :rolleyes: :p :D Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online