1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sound device not found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by logan289, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. logan289

logan289 Thread Starter

Recently, my computer had some issues that required me to open it up and take a look around. However, after fixing it and putting it back together, I found that everything worked, but there was no sound. I played something in windows media player and I got an error message that says:

"Windows Media cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

These are all the things I've done to my computer while fixing it:

1) Removed the processing chip to look at it, but returned everything properly.

2) Removed the motherboard battery to reset the BIOS, then properly returned it.

3) In the boot options while starting the computer, I set boot options to use a speed boot to skip over unnecessary points in the booting process (Because my computer had issues booting).

My computer sound device seems to be a built-in one as I see no actual sound card installed. It's just a very small metallic piece.

This is about all I know. I was thinking of just buying a new sound card anyway, but I want to figure out this problem first before I do that.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you goto device manager and see what you have in sound section

also run belarc.com and see what that detects for audio

3. logan289

logan289 Thread Starter

I ran the belarc program and it seems that under "Multimedia" it said "none detected."

In device manager, I went to sounds, video and game controllers and it seems everything is working properly, though all that are listed are just Audio codecs, Legacy audio drivers, Legacy video drivers, Media control devices, and video codecs.

Just thought I'd add, though I doubt it means anything, that whenever there is supposed to be a sound (Like AIM sounds), the computer makes a beep noise in place of the actual sound.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I suspect that there maybe a hardware issue

some configuration software relies on the drivers all being loaded OK , i cant remember if belarc is one of those,
    you could try these other configuration software

online scan
    http://www.d-a-l.com/hardware-scan.php

Great standalone program with pdf and email output
    http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm

System Information for Windows
    Everything you want to know about your computer.
    Does not require installation & can be run off a flash drive
    http://www.gtopala.com/
    http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

- otherwise I suspect you damaged the PC

5. logan289

logan289 Thread Starter

I ran the online scan you gave me, and under sound card, it's empty. What's odd is it says I don't have DirectX installed either.

When I ran that standalone program you mentioned, I found the sound devices, but there was no device name. Only descriptions which were the same as what I found in the device manager.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like you may have damaged the PC when you "had a look around"

is this still the status

its possible you have the onboard sound card disabled in the bios
    or there maybe a jumper on the motherboard which enable/disables

have you checked the bios

7. logan289

logan289 Thread Starter

No I haven't. I honestly don't know where to look for them. How do I do that and what should I be looking for?

Also, yes. It's still the same setting as before. I was thinking of updating/fixing my drivers, but I was told that removing the battery and placing it back in after about 10 minutes resets the BIOS to the original out-of-factory settings, and I assumed that would have been good enough.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it should have done,
    BUT
    it would be worth going into the bios and checking all the settings, anyway

there a number of diffeent bios on the market
    http://www.bioscentral.com/
    have a look at the above website

if there was a missing driver, you should see some ? in device manger with maybe unknown device

have you tried booting in safe mode - tap F8 as you boot
    just a possibility theres soem conflict
    see if it works in safe mode

9. logan289

logan289 Thread Starter

Yes. I saw a yellow "?" and it was listed as unknown device. I'll try running in safe mode now.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that could easily be the audio device

whats the make model of the PC and windows version - we should be able to get the driver off the manufacturers website

otherwise the make and model of the motherboard and we may be able to get the driver from there website

11. logan289

logan289 Thread Starter

PC = AMD Athlon 64. Powerspec. Model: 6640. S/N = 6640070515507.

Motherboard = ATI IXP 400. RS480M

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    this looks like the drivers for your machine
    download the audio driver and see how that goes

Sometimes the drive is an exe file and you can just click on it and it will install
    others you need to unzip and then update them via the device manager

13. logan289

logan289 Thread Starter

Sorry, but where was it you found the drivers I needed? Didn't look like you have a link in your post. Can you re-post the link?

Also, thanks for taking the time to help me on this, but in the chance that the drivers don't work, would getting a new sound card (even though it's not built-in) work anyway, or is there going to be sound issues still?

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you can disable the sound card in the bios , then you may be able to add a new sound card - depends on what slots you have free and available

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice