1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sound does not work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mshabsovich, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mshabsovich

mshabsovich Thread Starter

When i try to play something with sound it does not work. I went to the device manager and there are no yellow marks next to the sound. the drivers seem to be fine. when i go to sound and audio devices in the control panel, everything is grayed out. i cant change any settings. i went to start, run, dxdiag. i went to the sound tab and when i tested the sound i heard sound.

Whats going on? why are the sound options grayed out?

2. mshabsovich

anyone have any ideas as to how i can fix the sound issue?

3. Toti

Toti

HI mshasobich :)

One question for you . do you have a sound card or is an onboard chipset?

Or another thing did you check under Sounds and Devices Properties that you have select the device you want for Sound playback, Sound Recording, and MIDI music playback ?
    One more thing ... pls.check in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties under the Volume Tab that your device volume is NOT checked "mute" and under the "Audio" tab (if you have a sound card) that the box of "Use only default devices" is NOT checked.

Let start with this..... :) troubleshooting

Toti

4. mshabsovich

thank you so much. that worked. for some reason the default device was not set properly.

5. Toti

Toti

Your very welcome.

Good to read that solved the trouble.

:)
    Toti.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!