Solved: Sound drivers..no audio, I dunno! Help me out :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tec_41

So I accidently unplugged my computer while futzing with the mouse, and when I started it up it got to the XP Home log in screen. But instead of logging in, it did one of those scan disc things that gets rid of bad files and fixes errors. When I logged on, some stuff was messed up, nothing major...like internet settings, msn backrounds, etc. But my audio drivers apparently bit the dust. When I go to play music on Winamp it says, "Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration". So would new drivers solve el problemo? If so, can I get a linky? :D Thanks!

Have you tried starting in 'Last Good Configuration'? As this does a driver rollback, it might be worth looking into before you dwonload the drivers.

tec_41

Thanks Little den, but when I tried the Driver Rollback it said, "No files were backed up for this device".

Just for the record, in the control panel under sound and audio devices, it says "No devices installed"

Soundcard make and model? If it's built in to motherboard, then give us the mobo brand and model number.

And what Den was saying is correct. Assuming you have not turned off System Restore, you can either do a restore to and earlier date, or just reboot, hit F to get startup options, then select 'last known.....'. This will do exactly what it says.

Scorp.

tec_41

Well, Everest says these 2 things under PCI/PnP Audio-
-ESS ES1869 AudioDrive
-ESS Integrated Audio Controller

Are these what Im looking for? If not, then I'll check PC Wizard

That's it. Can you find a driver for the ES1869? I'll help look if not.

There's a note on the ESS site that they have not released any drivers for this device because support for it is already on the XP CD.

I'd suggest that you insert the XP CD, Exit when it starts, right-click on your audio device in Device manager, and click Update. Let it search automatically and online for the driver.

If that doesn't do it, try to follow the update prompts and choose the manual choices until you see the option to install the driver for that device.

Windows Update probably has a drive, too.

That looks like the one. Is your sound device sticking out in Device Manager?

But is it sticking out with a red or yellow mark indicating problems?

If it is, chances are that the driver files are still on your machine. Try removing the device and rebooting to see if it is redetected.

When you right-click the device or look at the Properties, rolling back the driver should be an option if there are any to roll back to.

tec_41

OOOOH okay...the ESS ones don't have any markings, but there are 2 with Exclamation marks next to them. They are...

-Microsoft Kernel DRM Audio Descrambler
-Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer

I'm guessing these 2 are causing the problem? Should I still uninstall them and try reinstalling? I'm just worried that if I DO uninstall, then I won't be able to get them back...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online