1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sound from speakers barely audible

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Drew1776, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drew1776

Drew1776 Thread Starter

Last night my computer was producing sound just fine. This morning it stopped! It's not a speaker issue as they work fine with another computer. No changes were made to the system so I don't know why this would happen all of a sudden. I uninstalled all of the drivers. When the computer somes back on they are re-installed. I also downloaded and intalled the Realtek driver R266. I had had an older version of this driver. The speakers are turned up and are set for maximum sound in the volume mixer. If I play something it is barely audible if my ear is right next to the speaker. I checked the device manger and did have two devices so I disabled one. Everything looks like the sound should be blaring but I get only the faintest sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You probably shouldn't be disabling something when having problems. That other device is probably the problem. Do you have any sound capture software or display driver hooks installed for VNC or something else, like a screen recorder?

Try all the devices listed in Sound in Control Panel.

3. Drew1776

Drew1776 Thread Starter

I tried disabling as was suggested in another thread. At any rate if I remove it, it is automatically reloaded when the computer is restarted. From your other comments I'm not sure what else to do.
    Thanks

4. Drew1776

Drew1776 Thread Starter

I don't think have any sound capture software
    I'm not sure what a driver hook or a VNC is...
    Sorry for my ignorance

5. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    Drew1776, have you tried running a System Restore Point?
    Maybe one dated 1 or 2 days before this sound issue began?

Jim

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you see the dropdown in the Sound applet in Control Panel? What devices are listed there for you to choose from?

Do you have any audio or video programs installed?

Enable everything in Device Manager until you get the problem solved.

(A restore point is a good thing to try.)

7. Drew1776

Drew1776 Thread Starter

After doing a complete reinstall of the machine the speakers are still messed up. Dell has decided that there is something wrong with the motherboard. So I guess that's the solution to this one. I've had Acers and eMachines last for years and I get a Dell and the motherboard craps out...

Thanks for the help.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Thanks for following up.

Good luck.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice