1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sound gone completely all of sudden!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by nami05, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nami05

nami05 Thread Starter

Hello, I`m new here, first post, etc.

So, my problem is that there is no sound coming out of my computer at all. It worked just fine until recently. The sound disappeared a few hours ago.... It`s really frustrating because I just can`t get it back and working!

I`ve tried restarting my computer and system restore. No luck.
    Both my speakers and headphones work just fine and they`re configured to work on my computer.
    My sound drivers are up to date.
    Troubleshooting wouldn`t help.
    The sound online, on games, media player and system default sounds seem to be playing, but there is no sound. And no error messages of any kind.
    There are no viruses on my computer, I`ve scanned it using Kaspersky Anti-virus.
    I`m using a legal version of windows XP.

...I have no idea what to do next. Help!! :(

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Check that the sound is on, not only the little volume slider at the bottom right but also in the different areas of the mixer. If any of those is set to mute you could have problems. Not sure what else to check.

3. reflection58

reflection58

Hello. :D My first post too. Have spent many MANY hrs w/HP, Comcast & McAfee which I did just uninstall as it didn't even catch two trojans that Malwarebytes did.

I also cannot uninstall Ad-Aware.

My sound is all kinds of jacked up, can anyone guide me? I no longer hear WEBmail ding for email altho I can hear the AOL guy, "you've got mail", now I can't hear youtube sometimes as well. It all started w/an auto HP update a few months ago.

I did the same as the person above, restore, reboot, re-installed drivers, etc. :(:confused:

Also would like to know of a good free firewall since I have now deleted McAfee as it seemed to cause more problems.

Thanks mucho guys!:eek:

4. nami05

nami05 Thread Starter

@Ent

the sound was on, but not working. :)

Seems like I managed to fix it somehow, though o_O I`ve restarted my computer several times and reinstalled the driver. I have no idea why it worked, since I`ve tried it several times before, but the sound is back...whew...

5. reflection58

reflection58

Lucky dog!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully they can help with my issues too.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/830342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice