1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sound I/O Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m00k, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I've just built a new rig for my parents. I'm having a problem I've never come across before. I can get sound from the front sound port, but not from the back one. I'm using a 2 channel speaker set with a subwoofer - this all connects to the PC using the "lime green" sound connector. I thought that the back sound ports are supposed to just work since they are directly connected to the motherboard but these just don't make any sound other than that "clicking" sound when I'm inserting or taking out the cable. Do I have to disconnect the front port in able to use the back port? Or is there something I've been missing? Thanks!

Specs for this rig:
    Dual Core AMD CPU
    On board sound (using realtek)
    ABit motherboard
    512x2 Corsair TwinX RAM
    nVidia 7300GT PCIe videocard
    Windows XP SP2

2. stantley

stantley

Yes, the idea of the front port is that you use it with headphones and when you plug headphones into the front port it cuts out the speakers hooked into the back port.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually the rear sound ports are probably disabled when the Front is enabled. Check the Mobo Manual to see what it says about this

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

That's what I was about to say ( but you beat me too it :D )...

Yea depending on the motherboard you either have to remove a jumper, or add one ( like was said it's in the manual )...

5. Kustom

Kustom

Also what integrated audio is it using.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

7. Kustom

Kustom

I think that earns a DeDeDee

8. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

Well, disconnecting the front panel cables didn't do anything. I'm discovering more problems too. The computer won't restart or shut down when I tell it to - I have to press the reset button on the case. The DVD drive won't read burnt cds. The floppy drive's light is always on and won't recognize any disks. Damn.

Sony DVD+-RW drive
    Sony floppy drive

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Just disconnecting the front audio ports from the motherboard alone usually isnt all that is required to get the rear ports operational again. There usually are the original jumpers that have to be placed on the correct pins on the audio header to reset it back so the rear audio ports are enabled again. If you can post the manufacturer of your motherboard we can help find the proper jumper settings for that. As far as the DVD drive not recognizing burnt CDs, are these CDs that this drive has read before correctly? the Floppy lite being on all the time sounds as though the data cable for the Floppy drive is installed backwards. This happens when the Floppy cable is inserted with pin 1 actually being connected like pin 34 as the floppy connector was removed and when it was replaced it was flipped over. On some drives there is a keyway on others there is not. The last Sony floppy drive I had it was not hard to insert the cable this way. That is why I stopped using Sony Floppies in my builds. Also the fact that I find Toshiba floppy drives less expensive to buy even if by only 2 or 3 dollars.

10. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

Yes, I fixed the floppy after I posted this. When I built the computer, I assumed that there was a keyway and thought it was strange that the twist was facing the other way. But now that's all set.

I've look several times for a place to plug in a jumper for the back audio, but I just can't find it. The motherboard is an aBit KN9 NF4 Ultra AM2.

I've read some more about DVD drives not reading or writing to blank / burnt disks (my problem) and many people said that the drives often have trouble with this because the laser in the drive functions totally different with those kinds of disks... Most people advised to flash the firmware of the drive. Any thoughts?

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    On page 2-16 of the users manual for your motherboard it shows the front panel audio header. you should have jumpers on pins 5-6 and 9-10 with out the front panel audio connector installed to enable the regular rear panel audio ports. This header appears that it should be labeled as FP-AUDIO1 to the rear of the Motherboard right near the first PCI-E slot. Pin number 8 should be missing in case the board is not labeled where pin number 1 is located. Placing jumpers on these pins should enable your rear audio.

12. m00k

m00k Thread Starter

Ah, thanks. I don't know a thing about jumpers...

Thanks!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice