1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sound Issues although diagnostic checks out fine????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Serge_N_Gin, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin Thread Starter

Hi,

The sound has suddenly quit on the family PC.

I have an audigy 2 ZX soundcard and when I test the speakers in the diagnostic mode I can hear the voice coming from the left speaker then the right.

So this means that both the volume and external powered speakers aren't at fault.

I can't hear System Sounds and have visited the folder C:/windows/media and double-clicked on the sound files with no luck.

I also multi-boot with Mandriva 2006 and have checked the sound there its working fine.

I've tried System Restore, and the Last Known Good Config option in Safe Mode but both failed to rectify the problem.

I've checked all volume icons for muted sound but they are all up full and my sound card is listed in the Device Manager.

What can I do to further troubleshoot this?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have yout tried reinstalling the latest Audigy drivers from the Creative website?

Windows XP can develop funny sound issues.

3. seekermeister

seekermeister

I imagine that the problem is more than this, but the only sound that you specifically mentioned were system sounds, so I will just throw this out, just in case. Check the sound tab on the Sound and Audio Devices in the Control Panel and see if your configuration remains. I have had this reset itself automatically to no sound.

4. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin Thread Starter

Thanks for your posts seekermeister and Triple6!

Heres the latest....my son was playing a game on the PC and I wanted to show him that I could actually get some sound by running the Creative Diagnostic program and testing the speakers.

So, we hear the "left speaker, right speaker" voice and then my son restarted his game and voila! the sound returned????

My son was using the PC for gaming when the sound vanished and he was using it again for gaming when the sound returned......????

I guess that it's one of those wierd moments that will remain unexplained....

Thanks anyway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice