1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Sound: midi-yes wav-no

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by grandpaw7, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I just recently noticed that when I boot up to Windows 98 Idon't get that introduction sound. And now I have put in a children's CD and find that I get no sound. I went through most of the "no sound" steps in Windows help but got no help, except that when I opened a *.mid file the sound would play, but not when I opened a *.wav file. When I go the Sound in the Control Panel, and test the various sounds, none of them play. Any suggestions? Thanks, grandpaw7

2. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

P.S. In case it's relevant or helpful, I also get no sound when my Internet Call Manager enables a caller to leave an audio message which I am then SUPPOSD to be able to play back. grandpaw

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hi Grandpaw... good to see you again.

Did you try reinstalling or updating you audio drivers in Device Manager?

Have you tried to see if you have sound when you go to the windows sound recorder?

4. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Hi, Savvy Lady. Well, I opened a wav file in Recorder and got the Media Player to "play" it but I got no sound. Then, I went to Add/Remove>Setup>Multimedia>uncheck everything in it>obey the command to put in 98 disk>have it reinstall the items. But no sound still. Looking forward to more input. grandpaw a/k/a unsavvygentleman

5. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

BTW, the sound was doing fine until a few days ago. I don't recall doing anything to distribute the situation. grandpaw

6. Dan O

Dan O

Usually one of the simplest solutions is to install a backup copy of the Windows Registry. Boot to MS-DOS Mode by selecting it using the boot menu (depress Ctrl during boot up) or using a Windows Startuo diskette. Then type: SCANREG /RESTORE

A menu of 5 backups will be displayed, pick one before the problem began.

7. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Glad we're back on the air. Don't scare me like that.

Well, I fooled around with puttng in the drivers CD that came with my computer, and that trip took be back and forth between that CD and the Windows 98 installation CD. But I ended up being able to once again hear wav sounds. However, for some reason when I go to a favorite website, the New York Times Photo section, where I am supposed to be able to view photos and at the same time hear commentary about them, I get no sound the way I used to. The help feature on the site tells me I need Macromedia Flash 5 softward, version 4.0 or better. While I previously downloaded Flash 5, I downloaded it again, but still no sound. Any thoughts?

I tired to restore a previous Registry, but when I kept getting a message that the restore mechanism didn't work (but in different words which I don't recall). Any thoughts?

I have Windows Media Player and Real Player installed. Dagnabbed if I can figure out the difference between them and Flash and this thing called MX something or other. And then I run across various other downloads that seem to have something to do with sound.

For what it's worth, when I go to a site which has pictures, poetry and music, I hear the music fine. I don't know what mechanism that site uses to get the sound to me.

I guess that when I already have a program installed, such as Flash, it causes no problem for me to install it again without removing the first install. And anyhow I don't see any way to uninstall Flash. It doesn't appear in Add/Remove programs and it doesn't appear when I go Start>Programs. I wonder why that is?

I could go on, but you've probably already quit reading so I'll stop here.

grandpaw

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Grandpaw not only do you need to update your audio drivers but you also need to update your display adapter drivers as well.
    Do both in systems go to start / settings / control panel / property / device manager click the plus by display adapter & then the graphic card is in the sublist. click it & go to properties & then drivers & update.
    do this on sound, video & game controller( click the + again ) properties as well.

Hopefully that will help. Let us know.

ps. This name was made up for myself as soon as I joined a chatroom... way back when I first learned how to turn my pc on....lol
    Its just a name..lol

9. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Dear Savvy, well, it didn't solve the problem.

I don't understand this update business. While your operation did tell me I have the best driver available on the sound, video and game controller, it did say it found a better display adapter driver which it installed, I guess from the driver CD it had me insert. But the drivers I have come from that same CD. So I am wondering how the computer can find a better driver on it?

But I'm mainly wondering how I can get to hear the commentary on the New York Times Photo site?

Thanks, grandpaw

10. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Savvy, I'd like to add a PS to your Drina Reed saying. Sometimes you've got to quit doing something you've always done before. I say this because of all the bad habits I've collected over the years. grandpaw

11. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

LOL... Grandpaw

Oh well don't give up on drivers yet.
    So you was able to find better drivers for the graphics card. Not a total waste of time then.
    Ok... go back & see the identity of the sound card... then search online for the maker & see if they have better drivers. you can see which driver you have in the same place as before.

12. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

SOLVED. I don't know how, but it works now. Whether all the fooling around I did hurt or helped, I don't know. But at least it didn't cause me all the problems that fooling around did many years ago. Thanks for your input, SavvyLady. (I found out from the manufacturer, SiS, that there are no updated drivers for my display driver.) grandpaw

13. Dan O

Dan O

Good going. I will mark this thread solved.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice