1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Sound Missing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ohdah, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ohdah

Ohdah Thread Starter

Uploaded a PC game and the sound became distorted, days later
    it stopped completely.
    Do not even have windows start up sounds.

Using win 98 SE

Please put suggestions in Layman terms as I am not a PC expert.

Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Open the volume control icon in the lower right hand corner by double clicking on it. Then go to options, then properties (in the upper left hand corner), make sure there's a check mark in all the boxes under show the following volume controls (when you have a black dot in the playback).....is anything muted besides, perhaps, microphone?

3. endeana

endeana

Sounds like to me you've lost your drivers. The software game you are trying to use must have corrupted or overwritten the drivers for your sound card. Go to start, settings, control panel, and then double click on systems. Click on the device mgr. tab and look to see if you have any explanation marks in your sound icons? If you do highlight them, click on properties, then click on update driver and have your CD that came with your sound card and reinstall the drivers.

Mark

4. Ohdah

Ohdah Thread Starter

Nothing is muted in volume controls.

In the device manger:have 6 icons under Sound/video/game controllers.
    Only 5 have anything out beside them.
    In order:
    1st is Blank
    2nd: ALS120 logical device 0 wave Audio device
    3rd: ALS120 logical device 1 internal midi (OPL3)device
    4th: ALS120 logical device 2 joystick device
    5th: ALS120 logical device 3 external mide (MPU401) device
    6th: wave device for Modem.

Tried to update driver thru CdRom but the device is not ready.
    So apparently I have lost this driver as well.
    Fortunately I have CD Writer and used it to try to update driver, but
    when it got to the meter showing driver being loaded, it came back saying unable to load driver.

??????

Thanks

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have another computer you can test your speakers on?

6. endeana

endeana

It appears that everything is fine in device mgr. as long as you don't have any cautions. You need to go to your speaker icon in the sys tray (lower right) and double click. Make sure that everything is check marked correctly. Then go to start, settings, control panel and double click on sounds. When this opens just highlight one of the commands that has a speaker icon next to it. Then just below you should notice under NAME there should be something in the box such as Chord, Chime etc. If there is then click on the the little button that has a > on it and you should have that sound coming from your speakers. If not then go back to device mgr. and highlight each one of the items one at a time and click the remove button. You will be asked to confirm and say yes. After your done it will prompt you to reboot and say yes. Upon bootup as you load into windows, windows will find the sound card and proceed to reload the drivers that you just removed. Then test again to see if problem cleared. If not do a remove on all items again, shut down machine, open it up and actually the sound card out of the slot and then reinstall the card. Boot back up and windows will find the new sound card. Have your disc ready. If your machine is saying that device is not ready it could be pointing to the wrong drive. Make sure that the drive letter it is pointing to for your CD rom is the correct letter. If your CD is on E: make sure that the install wizzard is not looking for the files on D:. If you still are getting device not ready then click on the browse button and manually look for the drivers on the CD. You'll know when you've found them because the OK button will become active. Click OK and see if those are the right ones. If not windows will tell you and then just hit the back button and try again until you find the correct ones. ALS-100 sound cards are somewhat of a problem at least I've had some problems with them. You may have a sound card that has craped on you. A Creative Soundblaster card is relatively cheap and very durable for the money.

Good luck

Mark

7. Ohdah

Ohdah Thread Starter

Removed drivers and rebooted. Sound is back but with a lot of back ground static. Least I have some sound anyway.

Also the CdRom is working again.

Thanks to Mark and all who contributed.

8. endeana

endeana

Hi once again. I'm glad you've got things up and running. However it sounds as if maybe your card is going south? I would try another card and see if that clears up your problem.

Later,

Mark

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice