1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sound not working after major crash in XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModDom, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ModDom

ModDom Thread Starter

Hello all, after a search I can't find a thread with my exact same problems... I hope you can help in some way. Three days ago my computer was working fine. I was using my Sennheiser PC151 headphones without a problem and almost everything was OK. Unfortunately I had an unexpected crash. This resulted me having to use my OS disc to start again from scratch, although there is a backup folder in my C: drive. I thought it would just be a case of reinstalling everything, but there were some very noticeable problems. I realised after attempting to watch a video that my sound was not working. There is no volume control icon in the bottom right of my screen, and when I go on 'Sound and Audio devices' in the control panel it says there is no audio device. First of all I thought I just had to update my sound card driver, so I ran dxdiag to find the make of my sound card. There is nothing on the sound tab of dxdiag, apart from a note at the bottom saying no sound card is detected. I can assure you during and after the crash I had not altered my set-up in any way, I had not changed the wiring of my headphones. Since then I have tried using my headphones in a laptop and they work straight after plugging them in. I have also tried plugging some old speakers into my computer, but still no sound. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I am using Windows XP in a store-bought Gateway GT5056b. I'll supply any extra info you may need. Thanks in advance.
    EDIT: If I remember correctly my driver was SigmaTel, however I've gone on the gateway website and tried a few sigmatel drivers... during installation they all say 'device object not present'.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
  3. Pengu

Pengu

Right click my computer device manager check if the drivers are even installed. Also you can go start;programs;accessories;entertainment;volume control. Check if it pops up or says some error like no audio device installed.

4. ModDom

ModDom Thread Starter

Found the correct drivers after a long time, and the sound's working fine now. Thanks anyway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/826822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice