1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sound on iTunes but not media player/internet

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Fez_Kuro, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fez_Kuro

Fez_Kuro Thread Starter

Had a look for an answer for this one, but unfortunately can't find anyone with the same problem as me!

My computer's making a bit of a nuisance of itself- my speakers work fine when I'm running iTunes to listen to music, but when I try to run the VLC media player, or Windows Media Player, or even play videos on YouTube, there's no sound whatsoever. I've checked my sound levels, my drivers, codecs, everything, and can't find any reason why sound is working fine on one program but not on everything else.

The only thing that's changed recently that might have started this is that I've had a bit of trouble with a recurring virus recently that's involved a lot of registry editing to fix it. To try and get rid of it altogether, as part of a process described on another site I ran AML Registry Cleaner last night, and though haven't had a problem with the virus since, I did get a notice from my anti virus when I came home today that it had blocked two new threats, but I really can't work out what's up- any ideas whatsoever as to what might be causing it?

Thanks!

Edit:

Alright, well- before I started typing this post iTunes was working fine! Closed it a few minutes back and just reopened it now, and it's popped up with this message:

'iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/video playback may not operate properly.'

and now it's not playing music at all. Had a nose at my audio settings/configuration and can't spot anything that immediately jumps out at me, but this virus I've had has messed up all of my settings- please help!

Thanks!

2. Fez_Kuro

Fez_Kuro Thread Starter

Edit edit:

Solved! In a very roundabout way found someone else with a similar problem- the audio device had turned itself off and it took me some digging around to find out how to turn it back on again, but it's all fixed!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice