1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sound problem while on web cam - home network problem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jerarn84, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jerarn84

jerarn84 Thread Starter

Hi everyone

I need to see if anyone has a solution to my problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and my granddaughter has a Dell Inspiron i15-157B. I added her laptop to our wireless network (Linksys wireless-G broadband router model WRT54GS). Everything works fine as long as she's here in our home, but when she goes home and we try to connect our webcams through Yahoo Messenger, I can see and hear her just fine. She can see me but can't hear me. Why would it work here and not there? I'm wondering if it's something with our home network.

Her laptop at home is connected directly to the internet, but they will be setting up a wireless router also. We both use Vista.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can I make a recommendation? Try Skype, I tossed Yahoo Messenger after trying Skype, it's MUCH better!

3. jerarn84

jerarn84 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info about Skype...I've heard that a couple times.

I'm trying to figure out if it has something to do with her being on my wireless network. We both have friends and family that only use Yahoo Messenger and would like to figure out why she can hear me as long as she's in our home, but can't hear me when she's home. I also don't have a problem with anyone else hearing me, which leads me to believe it's the network for some reason and I don't know how to fix it.

4. JohnWill

Well, if it's only happening when she's in that location, I'd be looking at firewalls and the like or the router's filtering in that location. It appears that it's tied to that location.

The reason I mention Skype is that I had lots of issues with Yahoo messenger and both voice and video were flaky at times, that doesn't happen with Skype.

5. jerarn84

jerarn84 Thread Starter

I downloaded Skype and Windows Live Messenger. My Granddaughter went back home and we tested them out yesterday. Yahoo Messenger still has no sound on her end, but Skype and Windows Live Messenger both worked for us. Still don't know why Yahoo doesn't work.

Thanks for the help.

6. JohnWill

Glad you got something working. I'd forget about Yahoo messenger and move on. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/836089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice