Solved: Sound Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BrennanU

Hi. I am having a sound problem with my HP Pavilion N5415 Laptop. (I am having alot of sound problems. I have another computer that the sound broken.) I tried reinstalling Windows but it didn`t help.

Brennan

"Sound problem" is not very descriptive. Could you perhaps explain just what the problem is, in a little detail?

BrennanU

What I mean is when I open AOL Radio, It says there is a Directsound driver Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error Code 88780078. When I try Windows Media player It says I don`t have a sound card installed. I would search on-line for the driver, but I cant figure out what card I have.

go to Start/ Right click My Computer/ Properties//Hardware/Device Manager.... there should be your sound card listed there in the Sound section.... but better to get a driver reinstalled from the manufacturers site rather than via the Device Manager's prompt. By the way do you see a red or yellow icon there in the Device manager?

BrennanU

All that is listed is:
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs
Also there are no Exclamation Marks.

hmmm, I'm not familiar with laptops, but it seems like you are indeed missing a needed driver/card there according to that list. Someone with that expertise should come along and advise further, so hopefully you can wait a bit for that.

BrennanU

I have tried downloading the driver from HP and ESS, and when I install it automatically(with setup.exe) There is always an error message that says Audio Installation False. If I go to Add New Hardware and tell it Have Disk and select A1.inf, and click next it says there is a fatal error. Any Ideas?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Is there anything in device manager under "OTHER" with a question mark? Did this sound ever work?

BrennanU

yes the sound once worked. I did a factory restore to remove spyware and after that the sound stopped working. There isn`t anything under other, But there is a"Unknown device" under sound, video, and game controlers.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, that is more than likely your REAL sound card. Can you choose 'update drivers' and point the search towards either the download from HP or your driver cd?

BrennanU

A blue screen appears and it says there was a fatal error, and the computer shuts down.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, I know there is a way to get XP to halt on errors, but I'm still pretty new to XP. Let me see who I can pm or email.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online