Solved: Sound Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BrennanU

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 9 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
IRQ 10 Trident Video Accelerator CyberBlade-XP v6.4022-003.69 OK
IRQ 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1420 CardBus Controller OK
IRQ 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1420 CardBus Controller OK
IRQ 11 Accton EN2242 Series MiniPCI Fast Ethernet Adapter OK
IRQ 12 Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=228&product=65184&cc=us&softwareitem=ob780en

Is that where you are getting your driver?

If so, you followed the instructions:

This package contains the released version of the ESS Audio and Modem drivers for Windows XP. This package will (by default) load the driver into the hp\Drivers\xp\modem\ESS\ subdirectory, and open a read me file containing installation information.

Also, where is the modem? There is not one on your IRQ list. Are we sure these are even the correct drivers?

And this may be a stupid, stupid question, but are you sure we're working with XP? That IRQ list looks slim, some XP systems have IRQs up to 23.

BrennanU

Yes I am certain I am using XP. Now that I think about it the modem didn`t work the once I used it recently. I have Broadband so I don`t use a modem. It didn`t work once so I figured it was the server or something. Yes that is the driver I have.

do u use XP? if yes, just simply restore ur XP using system restore in start menu, open it and search for the earliest time it can restore ur laptop....
if u just install ur XP, then ur sound didn't exist, just remove all the soung device u found in the device manager, then restart... see if it can detect any sound device back...

I agree about the odd looking IRQ list for an XP system. Did you buy it direct from HP or from someone else?

Also you said you did a full recovery, after which the problem started, did it begin immediately? And what was the source of the recovery media, was it a partition based recovery or a CD?

You might want to try that again, since there is no good reason why this should not restore all original files and installations, including the Sound -- unless there is damaged sound hardware on the motherboard itself.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Actually, Rog, I'm not real sure about the HP recovery cds as I've never used one, but I have used Dell recovery cds, and the hardware drivers WERE NOT put back. The top of the recovery cd said as much too.

They had to be manually installed from either another driver cd or the Dell website.

When he said "factory restore" I assume that meant a full, "destructive recovery". Anything less would not remove any malware. These usually return the system to its original configuration. HP does have an "applications recovery" option, usually -- and this is very specific about what is being reinstalled, and is "non destructive".

Dell has a completely different system. You get a Microsoft/Dell OEM CD for reinstalls, and an "applications CD" for drivers and software that were originally included.

The thing I like best about Dell, is they include ALL the original software applications either in their applications disk or in the Vendor's installation disks themselves -- no matter how cheap the system is you buy from them.

If HP would just learn this, they might not have to go through so many CEOs trying to compete in the PC world.

BrennanU

I did buy the unit through Best Buy. I did a full destructive system recovery with cds. I am not certain when it exactly stopped working. I just opened a site with music on it and it wouldn`t play. Since I hadn`t put the data back on, I did another system recovery and It still didn`t work. There are drivers on the cd for the touchpad, video, ect, but I looked through the folder that the drivers were in and there was nothing for sound.

BrennanU

No. I was looking around the cd again and I found in the video folder an folder called win2000, should I maybe try installing the 2000 drivers? (I am certain I am running Win XP because I ran WinVer, and there is a sticker on the computer that says Designed for Windows XP.)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hmmmm.....can you right click on my computer, properties, and tell us what it says there please.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, you have Windows XP Home. Edit your thread and remove the link as you have private information there.

BrennanU

I got into safe mode and tried reinstalling them but it still wouldn`t work.

you may wanna check out this thread it has some fixes for the error 887800078 prob. you originally had...here

check both pages depending on what player your using...good luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online