Solved: Sound Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BrennanU

Also I am wondering, shouldn`t the driver still install even if the sound card is bad?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Usually, if a device is bad, Windows won't find it, and a driver won't/can't be installed.

BrennanU

Do you think in the computer moving around the sound card could have come loose? I goth the drivers to install, but it says it can`t find the hardware. If you think it cound have gotten loose, how would I go about opening the laptop up?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Usually in a laptop, if it can't find hardware, there is a bigger problem with the device. Besides, my best guess is that it's built onto the motherboard anyway.....I don't have that much experience ripping laptops apart, last one I did, I still have parts that didn't fit back in it and it's never worked again :D

I'm going to raise the issue of a BIOS update for this once more -- but again you must be prepared for the worst case scenario of having the BIOS chip professionally replaced in case of disaster.

BrennanU

If I had the sound card built in wouldn`t there be an option in the bios for the onboard sound? I would rather not try the bios update. I might take it into Best Buy and ask for a diagnosis and a price quote to fix the sound.

I'm not sure what you would see in the BIOS, these things are very vendor specific with many standard options being left out or hidden by proprietary vendors like Dell and HP.

But you should see it in the Device Manager one way or another if both the BIOS and the Motherboard are undamaged.

Taking it into Best Buy, especially if that is where you purchased it, is not a bad idea. At least if they lose the pooch trying to update the BIOS they will be responsible for it.

Uh, I slightly edited it from my original for reasons of "good taste", guess you'll have your imagination again :D

BrennanU

The device shows up in the device manager just as unknown device. It says that it is a good driver but it can`t find the hardware.

BrennanU

Hi. I just sent in the laptop for service. They called yesterday and said that that parts are not available because it is too old. I think that that is strange because it is only like three yrs old. But they said there is something wrong with it, so I cant fix it. Thanks everybody who helped to try and fix my problem, but I guess It can`t be fixed.

Brennan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online