1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Sound probs on IBM TP 390

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geeknee, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geeknee

geeknee Thread Starter

I've already followed AcaCandy's signature advice & had several beers & tried to find someone else to help, but no luck.
    I got my daughter a TP 390 from an online auction. Recently I upgraded the memory to 192mb. The problem is there is no sound to any games I install on the laptop. Sometimes during installation of games I get msg that no sound detected, & similar messages. But when I pop an audio cd in it, the sound is fine.

I emailed the previous owner who said it should work & maybe volume control on games is turned off. If I need to install a sound card, that's fine, but I can't find info on the type I would need.

I know only a little about pc's & even less about laptops. Anyone know the where's & how's of Thinkpad sound??
    :confused:

2. ajdupont

ajdupont

Hi geeknee, Welcome to TSG
    I also have an IBM TP 390. Make sure you have all the drivers installed from IBM. If you go to this site and put your model number in it will give you a list of all the drivers needed for your laptop.

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/all_download_drivers.html

Good luck

ajdupont

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

:D :D

Sometimes, that becomes THE problem :D :D

4. geeknee

geeknee Thread Starter

I've already been to that site. My daughter's laptop isn't connected to the internet; and me being blonde (oops, did I say that??) I have't the first clue how to transfer drivers to her TP.

Major frustration here & not knowing what I'm doing just adds to it.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Download what you need on your computer......then we'll figure out a way to get it to hers.....save it to a file folder on your desktop so that it is easily accessible.

6. ajdupont

ajdupont

Tell you what. Look on the bottom of the Thinkpad and write down the model number and serial number and post it here. I'll go get the drivers that you need and explain in detail how to install them.
    I really think that's all it is. And I'd be happy to do it.:)
    It's worth a shot anyway.

ajdupont

7. geeknee

geeknee Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Here's the model & serial numbers:

2626 50U
    S/N 144XG

BTW.... glad I found this site, lotta friendly & helpful people.
    :)

8. ajdupont

ajdupont

geeknee, I forgot to ask what operating system you were running. Windows 98, ME, XP? It makes a difference as far as which drivers you use. Let me know.

ajdupont

9. simonkeeps

simonkeeps It's My Birthday!

well, first do the games you are running say they
    are compatible for your OS? Many games you buy
    now in the bargain bin or whatever will not run
    on 2000 or XP. Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps
    worth checking for starters...

10. geeknee

geeknee Thread Starter

The TP is running windows 98.

As for the games I run, I always check to be sure the os is compatible. :)

11. ajdupont

ajdupont

12. ajdupont

ajdupont

You mentioned in your email that you have the driver saved on your computer's desktop. Now you have to get it to the laptop. The size of this driver is 1.7mb. Too large to fit on 1 floopy disk.
    First, does the laptop have internet access? If it does then you can go to the link in the post above and save the driver to the laptop.
    Second, if the laptop does not have internet access then do you have a cd writer in your computer? If so, you will have to burn the driver to a cd and then put it on the laptop.
    Third, if the laptop does not have internet access and you do not have a cd writer on your computer then you will have to use Winzip or some other file compression program to put the driver on 2 floppies.
    You're almost there.:)

ajdupont

13. geeknee

geeknee Thread Starter

I'm going to attempt writing it to a cd & installing it on the laptop. Any special instructions I need for the installation?

Thanks! :D

14. ajdupont

ajdupont

I'm pretty sure that when you click on the driver it will install the drivers on your harddrive. However you will probably have to go through the "Add New Hardware Wizard". If you are not familiar with doing that I'll walk you thru it.
    When you first click on the driver file on your desktop, it usually asks at some point in what folder you want to install the drivers. You should just select the default folder that it offers you. It might be "Drivers" or "Audio" but whatever it is you should remember it because that is where you will have to reinstall your sound card drivers from.
    After you have done this we'll go thru the "Add New Hardware Wizard".;)

ajdupont

15. geeknee

geeknee Thread Starter

for some reason I copy the file to a cd, but it's not working.
    At this point I'm about to throw the laptop thru a window.:mad:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice