1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Sound will not work on computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ashlii1984, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ashlii1984

Ashlii1984 Thread Starter

Earlier the sound on my computer was fine, now it won't work at all. My speakers are fine. When I start my computer up and shut it down it doesn't even make the sound it usually makes. I found I had this problem when I tried to watch a movie. When I try to play files from windows media player I get this message: (Windows media player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.) I know there is a sound device on my computer and it is not in use by any program. Can anyone please help?:(

2. FallenXxRaven

FallenXxRaven

Try going to your device manager by opening the start menu, right-clicking on My Computer, clicking Properties on the bottom of the dropdown list, clicking the hardware tab on the Properties menu, and clicking Device Manager. When it loads there may be a ! in a yellow circle next to your sound driver.

You can try updating the driver by right-clicking it and clicking update, or you could write down its name somewhere, uninstall it, then do a web search for somewhere that will let you download it again.

This used to be all I had to do when my computer's sound went. I hope it works for you too.

3. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Ashlii1984, I'm assuminig that your using Windows XP. Go to the link below and click on the "?" to the left of "Where did my Sounds go?" to expand it and you'll find several possible solutions.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

Tufenuf

4. Ashlii1984

Ok...there was a ! next to Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer, I'm having trouble finding somewhere to download it from. Can anyone help?

5. Ashlii1984

I uninstalled the Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer. I looked around to see where I could download it again, then I read that if you restart your computer it will install it automatically. I restarted and checked for the driver, which I did not see. I then tried to play music on windows media player and it played. Thanks for helping. I'm happy!

6. Ashlii1984

Well, It happened again so I uninstalled the Kernel Audio Mixer again and restarted and my sound is working again. I guess I have to find a way to permenately delete the Mixer because I don't want to have to do this everytime my sound stops working. Can anyone help?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!