1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SP2 Install and Update Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by patmac, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just installed SP2 from the MS CD and would like to know what to expect regarding getting the updates since SP2 came out. Such as, any problems, how many/much to update now?
    Thanks for your time,
    patmac

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

go to windows update and see if there's anything new

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, There are quite a few after SP2 actually.

If you have Automatic Updates enabled, and it is by default after installing SP2> you will be seeing "Updates are ready for your computer" in the next few days.

Unless that is, you have turned off Automatic Updates and Express Install. I prefer to go and download them when I want to, as they are always getting in the way of something....such as when you go to shut down, if Updates are being downloaded you will get the message at shutdown, that Updates need to finish, and the computer will be shut down afterward automatically.
    That feature does work, but I prefer to attend and always go and run Updates manually, choosing Express Install, so I can watch what goes on.

This past summer there was an update or two that gave lots of folks trouble but they were re-issued by Microsoft, so right now, I don't hear of anything bad with Updates.

4. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thanks for your info, and is there a link to where I need to be to look at what updates are available, or do I need to do a search? I really want to do them manually. I just got broadband, so file size isn't an issue anymore ( had dial-up, remember that? ), so I need to know how/where to do that. I was actually on the MS web site, but each item I was getting ready to click on regarding Updates, looked like it would start the download when I clicked on it...
    Thanks again for your time and patience,
    patmac

5. adam1138

adam1138

I did a repair installation 2 weeks ago,all I did was go to start menu,all programs,windows update which took me to the windows update website.
    It downloaded 61 updates,when you then shut down the computer,you have the option to install updates then shut down,or just shut down.
    I just shut down,then the next time I started my computer,the yellow shield appeared in the tray saying updates are ready click here to install,if you then choose custom install,you can see what is what & choose what you want to install.

6. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thanks for the pointer adam118. Now I'm working with wood here....if I want to update things manually, do I select Express or Custom at the Update page? Can I change it later? I need the updates, just want some control. Thanks again,
    patmac

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

When your computer is scanned during Windows Update I would always take Custom, it gives you not only the critical updates but all of the other updates like drivers etc. Personally I think doing it manually is a pain since Microsoft takes the time to scan your computer so it knows everything about it you might as well go for the whole thing and install everything, this way you will be up to date and ready to go. Remember a week from tomorrow is update Tuesday so there will be more to go thru. Some people say be careful about which ones you pick because some of them might not work, question I ave is how do you know what will or will not work on your computer? Microsoft has fixes for the one's that have problems but unfortunately I have never seen a page that lists these but they do have ones in there to fix the bad ones and they are pretty accurate.

Have fun, Have a good day. Remember if you want a Mac go to MacDonald's they are cheaper there..

8. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thanks for all who helped. I now have SP2 and all the critical updates. Some of the updates failed to download, but when I rebooted, went back to Update and tried it again, they all arrived, total of 72 updates. I didn't do IE7 yet, should I? Now what? wait to see how stable thngs are? Thanks again,
    patmac

9. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

From my experience... download all the critical updates from Microsoft, but don't download any audio or video card drivers they recommend and you'll be fine.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

No reason to avoid IE7 . . particularly on a clean machine . . it can help you stay that way!

11. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thank you swpswr, will do.
    Frank4d brings up an interesting point. I did the Express install, but along with it was an update for NVIDIA. I have a Dell 4550, 17 inch flat CRT that has always been alittle quirky, but not enough of a pain to investigate. It sometimes goes black for a few seconds, then comes back on. if I power it down ( always left on ), and back up, it's fine for a long time. Now, after downloading the updates yesterday, when I clicked on the new NVIDIA icon in the tray, the screen goes black. When it comes back, click on it, same thing. Powered it down and up, fine now. The NVIDIA hardly seems like a critical update to me, but it was there. I will research it some, and possibly uninstall it. Thanks again for all your time and help.
    patmac
    ps: always more questions to follow...

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can test by rolling back the driver . . In Device Manager, Expand on the Display Adaptor,Right click on the video card and select Properties . . then Roll Back Driver

13. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The new way to get the driver updates is now through Windows Update, this is the way all of the manufacturers usually do this. If you get an update that does not work properly all you do is rollback the driver. No this rollback is not from WalMart<g> Usually if a driver has a problem Microsoft will replace it within a month of finding it out I have an envidia video card and have only had one driver that was not right for it. As for IE7 I have been running IE7 for several months now and really like it, however I recommend downloading it directly from Microsoft instead of thru Windows Updates there is a difference.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx

14. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

OK, why is there, and, why would there be a difference between getting IE7 from Microsoft versus Windows Update? Also, since my monitor has been a little quirky since the beginning, I'm not going to be too quick to roll back. It has always been just the screen blacking out, never have seen actual graphics problems/issues. Can I ask here real quick..I need the new version of Java(suggested I do so by someone in a Security thread I had going) , do I have to uninstall the old one first (is it under Add/Remove?) before downloading and installing the uplevel?
    Thanks for your time,
    patmac

15. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yes . . uninstall the old one, and then delete the folder prior to installing the new one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice