1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SP3 Update and USB Devices giving blue screens

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jytioh, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jytioh

jytioh Thread Starter

Hi,

I've recently made a SP3 update on my Windows XP Home. Initially I kept on getting blue screen with this error. I was unable to load Windows or Safe Mode.

STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000001D, 0XF78DE8EA, 0XF78DE7F4, 0XF78DE4F0)

After reading some forums, I've unplugged all my USB devices as some people suggest that it might be the problems with drivers.

After unplugging all USB devices - printer, external HDD and mouse, Windows loaded without problem but I got a new error after Windows finishes loading.

BCCode : 1000007e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BA5038F0 BCP3 : BA5037F0
    BCP4 : BA5034EC OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

I suspect this error has to do with drivers.

At the same time, if I try to plug in any of my USB devices, i.e. mouse, printer or external HDD, the blue screen will reappear immediately. They used to work perfectly when I was on SP2 until last night.

FYI, I'm using Dell INSPIRON 640m laptop with Windows XP Home SP2 until the moment I install the SP3 update.

Hope I can get some help or pointers here. Not impressed with SP3 update definitely!

Thank you very much.

2. Dan O

Dan O

I have read that Dell does not recommend using SP3 on your PC. Have you tried to uninstall SP3?

3. octogenarian

octogenarian

I also encountered SP3 problems and have spent hours the last two days talking with Microsoft techs in India. Microsoft now offers three versions of free tech support for SP3 problems--phone, chat, or e-mail. I've tried all three and recommend phone, although it does require patience. Phone No. is 866-234-6020. Choose XP in the voice menu since it does not list SP3 separately. I believe I have all my problems solved.

Good luck.

4. jytioh

jytioh Thread Starter

My problem has been solved by a support person from Microsoft. I would like to share it here so that others who face similar problems will be able to benefit.

Go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager

Under Universal Serial Bus Controller, uninstall the devices one by one. After that, click on Scan for hardware changes to reinstall them back. Restart your computer and everything will be back to normal.

According to the support person from Microsoft, this solution also applies to the problem above after Service Pack 3 update. I have yet to test it out though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/719553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice